"Shangri La?" Top 5 Page for this destination Zhongdian by xaver

Zhongdian Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 264 photos

Finally!

Two years ago I read in a newspaper about Yunnan, the writer described it as one of the last original area of China and warned the reader to go as soon as possible because the progress was already close to transform it.
Then I read about the legend of Shangri La and so i decided to visit Yunnan and, in particular Zhonghdian.

Not enough time

Once in Yunnan I realised that my trip was too short to let me arrive in Zhongdian overland and I absolutely did not want to fly there.

Any street takes you to....

Then the Tibetan Jeam found the solution for me and it really was a memorable trip, I underline trip, not that the town wasn't worth, but you enjoy much more the overland journey that really offers breathtaking views.

• Pros:landscapes, people, food
  • Cons:Might not last long
  • In a nutshell:go as soon as you can
  • Last visit to Zhongdian: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 6, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2016 at 3:33 AM

Thanks for the interesting tour.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2016 at 4:25 AM

Looks like an interesting page. Heard great thing about yunnan but not been there yet. All the best, Irene

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:16 AM

Thanks Irene, the trip to Yunna is actually one that I enjoyed more than many others

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Sounds to be a very pleasant place to visit, and interesting. The cafe/restaurant with the Tibetan food (I have never tried jak-meat) seems to be great!

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:01 AM

yes and it's so hard to chew that your dentist will be happy after you eat it :-) thanks for visiting

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2015 at 4:43 AM

I can see why it;s one of your favourite pages. It looks like you stepped back in time with no worries and no hurries. Nice page Corra.

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2015 at 7:37 AM

Great page and photos. I do regret not having enough time to visit here when I was in Yunnan. Thank you for sharing.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Looks a fascinating place to visit :-) I would really enjoy taking photos here!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

It’s great that you were able to see the daily life of the people in this remote area. Good that the cars stop to let yaks cross the street.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Thanks, I actually have great memories of that trip, if I had the chance to go back I'd definitly stop longer.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I just got home from Shangri-la (Xianggelila). It was a short trip but a fruitful one. Nice pix you took there! I'm hoping to return in warmer weather :-)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Interesting Zhongdian travel page with lovely photographs. The Old Town certainly sounds wonderful and interesting to visit and explore. Tibetan mixed rice certainly looks delicious to us. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Very interesting report on this very remote place in China. I would like to follow your trail someday on this.

xaver

“"Whee. Sal, we gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."”

Badges & Stats in Zhongdian

Have you been to Zhongdian?

Latest Activity in Zhongdian