"So small so similar" Top 5 Page for this destination Lebanon by xaver
Lebanon Travel Guide: 2,470 reviews and 5,908 photos
It's really weird to watch tv and see what for me was a great holiday and a very welcoming place become a bomb aim, places I enjoyed totally destroyed, I don't know who is right and I do not think one is totally right and one is totally wrong, I only hope this madness of violence finishes soon.
Sometime people doing this kind of wishes looks stupid or too innocent, like babies that believe in the perfect world, but the more I think of escalations of violence, the more I wonder who really acts like kid.
I remember a gipsy motto: men shouldn't own earth, if they think earth is theirs, they become slave of that territory, the only way to be free, is knowing earth has no owner.
I am used to work during Christmass holidays, but this year, for several reasons, I had the chance to travel.
I promised to a friend that had never been outside of Italy to go with him if I was free and so, where to bring a person that never travelled before, on Christmass while all the media got crazy for terrorism threat?
Middle east ofcourse!
I really loved the idea to spend Christmas away from Christmas delirious, away from Santas and away from Christmas trees but....when I arrived in Beirout dec. 24th, I got a bad surprise, even the cab drivers weared Santa's hat and in the middle of a square a giant Christmas tree lighted tons of small santas dancing and singing HELPPPPPPPP!
The morning after I woke my mate up at 7 am and said: ok I am not spending Christmas like if I was at home, so let's go to Damascus!
There, walking from a Mosque to another, from a souk to another Mosque, I probably spent one of my holiest Christmas, it was not a religious holiday for them, but the passion they had in their temples were definitly higher than the one I am used to see in our shopping centre during Christmas holidays, but I'll tell more about this in my next Damascus page.
- Pros:Nice weather, great history, welcoming people
- Cons:Big cities look like a copy of adriatic coast
- In a nutshell:Go but don't dedicate too much to Beirut
Fondest memory, I guess mine was the other side of mediterranean sea, it was the first time for me and that made me... more travel advice
Finally! Finally a country where you can smoke in airport, bars, restaurants, hotels and taxis. Here you do not have to... more travel advice
xaver's Related Pages
Lebanon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Half Lebanese in my Blood...Welcome to Lebanon!"
- "Lebanon - The pearl of the Medeterranian Sea"
- "Lebanon - the heart of the Levant"
- "So small so similar"
- "A long lost home..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lebanon
- Hotels in Lebanon
- Transportation in Lebanon
- Nightlife in Lebanon
- Restaurants in Lebanon
- Shopping in Lebanon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lebanon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lebanon
- 21 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Lebanon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lebanon
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Athens Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matera Intro, 19 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos
- Morocco Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue