"So small so similar" Top 5 Page for this destination Lebanon by xaver

Lebanon Travel Guide: 2,470 reviews and 5,908 photos

Why?

16/07/2006
It's really weird to watch tv and see what for me was a great holiday and a very welcoming place become a bomb aim, places I enjoyed totally destroyed, I don't know who is right and I do not think one is totally right and one is totally wrong, I only hope this madness of violence finishes soon.
Sometime people doing this kind of wishes looks stupid or too innocent, like babies that believe in the perfect world, but the more I think of escalations of violence, the more I wonder who really acts like kid.
I remember a gipsy motto: men shouldn't own earth, if they think earth is theirs, they become slave of that territory, the only way to be free, is knowing earth has no owner.
___________________________________________________________

I am used to work during Christmass holidays, but this year, for several reasons, I had the chance to travel.
I promised to a friend that had never been outside of Italy to go with him if I was free and so, where to bring a person that never travelled before, on Christmass while all the media got crazy for terrorism threat?
Middle east ofcourse!

Christmas

I really loved the idea to spend Christmas away from Christmas delirious, away from Santas and away from Christmas trees but....when I arrived in Beirout dec. 24th, I got a bad surprise, even the cab drivers weared Santa's hat and in the middle of a square a giant Christmas tree lighted tons of small santas dancing and singing HELPPPPPPPP!

Exodus

The morning after I woke my mate up at 7 am and said: ok I am not spending Christmas like if I was at home, so let's go to Damascus!
There, walking from a Mosque to another, from a souk to another Mosque, I probably spent one of my holiest Christmas, it was not a religious holiday for them, but the passion they had in their temples were definitly higher than the one I am used to see in our shopping centre during Christmas holidays, but I'll tell more about this in my next Damascus page.

• Pros:Nice weather, great history, welcoming people
  • Cons:Big cities look like a copy of adriatic coast
  • In a nutshell:Go but don't dedicate too much to Beirut
  • Last visit to Lebanon: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 15, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Great page!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Great overview and insight into Lebanon with interesting tourist attractions! Roman Ruins and the castle certainly look wonderful to visit. Beirut, Tripoli and Byblos attract us the most. Thanks for the virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I hope 2003 was a peaceful year in Lebanon -- looks like it was, from your tips and photos.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2008 at 6:16 AM

Nice tips, too bad Lebanon is slipping back towards civil war.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Great overview of Lebanon. Free smokes. No wonder such a popular tourist destination. Hope to get there one day. Cheers, SL :)

• Sep 27, 2006 at 1:20 AM

Hi Xaver! Nice pics and interesting tips! Hope to visit Lebanon soon.

• titti's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 1:26 PM

ma c'eri andato con gli svisseri??

• Aug 21, 2006 at 1:32 PM

our plan WAS to return to Lebanon and go directly to Jounieh. but....:(

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 9:26 AM

LOL about why you went to Lebanon at Christmas! My neighbors (and friends) are from Lebanon, and I love the food. Your restaurant tips looked good and sounded great. Thanks for the great insights.

• louny78's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2006 at 1:19 AM

i'm happy to see that u loved my country Lebanon.

xaver

“Whee. Sal, we gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go.”

Badges & Stats in Lebanon

Have you been to Lebanon?

Latest Activity in Lebanon