"A stoned city" Top 5 Page for this destination Matera by xaver
Matera Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 171 photos
This is a city that definitly did not leave me indifferent, it’s hard to arrive, even tougher to be visited around. Many corners, tons of steps you go up and down, you pass from the bright to the dark in few moments while you walk around it.
Matera welcomes you in silent, nearly diffident, narrow streets, a real labyrinth made by stones and wind centuries ago. Dark crypts that if you dare to go deep may show you at the end, an afresco done centuries before your visit.
It’s not a city that asks to be visited, it doesn’t claim to be known, it doesn’t bright, it doesn’t want to show itself, Matera doesn’t welcome you with a smile or with a flower ring, you can notice it, you can see while working around, while asking for an info at the station, while entering a restaurant, it’s if you somehow have to deserve it before enjoying and you sure have this feeling while sweating walking up and down in the sassi, while climbing narrow steps just to reach an ancent church built in the rock.
According to some people Matera was probably founded in 251 b.c.
Matera still bears the unique signs of history and prehistory.Dating back at the period of the punic wars Matera sheltered the fugitives of Metapontum and Heraclea.
It’s name may derive from the meet of Met and Era or from Mata which means heaps of rocks.
Later on until the last century this area was a rural area inhabitated by shepherds, this was a land of Transumanza which means the seasonal migration of shepherds and their sheeps.
- Pros:Genuine, silent, clean, great food, great sceneries
- Cons:tourists are arriving
- In a nutshell:I hope it will resist
This is what you find written in some street signals there show the way to visit some particular sites in the town.Rari... more travel advice
My favourite thing about Matera is that city definitly offers to you much more than you expect.It's in the deep south of... more travel advice
xaver's Related Pages
Matera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A stoned city"
- "From Shameful Slum to UNESCO Seal of Approval"
- "The uniques sassis of Matera"
- "Matera - city of the sassi"
- "matera citta della "PASSIONE""
- "I Sassi di Matera"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matera
- Hotels in Matera
- Transportation in Matera
- Restaurants in Matera
- Shopping in Matera
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Matera
- 19 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Matera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matera
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 36 reviews, 85 photos
- Athens Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 23 reviews, 61 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matera Intro, 19 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 28 reviews, 50 photos
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 56 photos
- Morocco Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 50 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue