"Friendly weapons" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanaa by xaver

Sanaa Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 955 photos

A jump in the past

I came in Sanaa after a few days in Dubai and the first feeling was like a big jump in the past.
You get that feeling already during the landing of the aircraft when you start seing the desert mountain view and the sensation of dust all around.

Mountain

Then as soon as you get out of the airport(for me it was already an adventure as they needed a hour to scan my passport) you start feeling a bit heavier as it is 2400 meters high and for someone living permanently on the sea level like me, it was already a surprise.

And...

After a few hours we just enjoyed this incredibly city and relaxed in its wonderful atmosphear.
To be honest at the beginning I was not feeling so friendly with the town as it's really full of people with weapons, almost any man carries around his jambia and it's not difficult to see men with guns.
This made me feel weird at the beginning as I do not feel confortable with many weapons around whoever carries them, included militaries or police, but I must admitt after a while I just recognised people here were just extremely friendly, those carrying weapons and those not.
And at last, after a night with stomach troubles, I finally found a place where weapons were not allowed: the hospital!

• Pros:people, costumes, traditions, buildings, simplicity
  • Cons:cars, food, weapons
  • In a nutshell:It's magic
  • Last visit to Sanaa: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Me again, coming back after several years for another look at this interesting page. I can certainly understand why all those weapons made you nervous. That’s one of the reasons I don’t go back to the USA any more, because there are so many weapons in circulation, such as semi-automatic assault rifles with thirty rounds of ammunition, not just jambias as in Yemen. Anyway, it’s good that no weapons were allowed in the hospital.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I can understand you switched from non-alcohol beer to tea, Corra :)))). Sanaa must be really beautiful and interesting as I can see from your page!Food poisoning is sometimes part of travel, good you recovered quickly.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Ciao-you had a real experience in this town, and so sorry for your food poisoning and the pain. The jambia, suk and kat are all traditions that seem to be Yemen deep culture roots form what I read. Your comments and pictures are very good.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Very informative page about Sanaa! The place is pretty incredible and has a unique architectural heritage. It was great to learn about the local customs. So sorry to hear about the food poisoning. At least the doctors were helpful and professionals :)

• Nov 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM

what an interesting place sanaa is! thanks for sharing the interesting tips and customs with us. a shame you had a hospital visit, but sometimes they make a 'good memory' years later! haha. nice work!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2009 at 4:47 AM

Good customs tips!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Great Sanaa page! The suq and the old town look fabulous to explore! Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• DunaKal's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Mowah! Happy Birthday!

• titti's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Ciò scritto, dove si va a mangiare???

• Jun 18, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Great photos of Sanaa! Info too!

xaver

“Whee. Sal, we gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go.”

Badges & Stats in Sanaa