"...Waimea..." Waimea by KiNyA
Waimea Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 48 photos
One of the prettiest settings on the island is home to the country town of Waimea. Set amongst the gentle rolling hills of the softest, greenest pastureland you can imagine, Waimea is a small town of remarkable beginnings, a rough but tenacious history, and an enthusiastic new outlook. Its unique culture is inspired by the paniolo, Hawaiian Cowboy, who worked the expansive Parker Ranch, which at its peak in the 19th century extended across more than half a million acres, and now covers about 10 percent of the Big Island. The Parker Ranch is one of the largest cattle ranches in the United States, and it still dominates the heart and soul of this farming and ranching community.
Waimea has diversified, and farmers and ranchers are now joined by educators from seven schools, employees from a string of world-class hotels, astronomers and tehnicians from two major telescope facilities atop Mauna Kea, and many more. Waimea is now home to two shopping centers, two traffic lights, and two fast food restaurants, as well as some of the finest chef-owned and operated restaurants on the island. There are art galleries, boutiques, wonderful little cafes, paniolo inspired collections, the unique Anuenue playground, as well as some of the most beautiful homes and neighbourhoods in Hawaii. This community and the surrounding countryside represents one more of the wonderfully diverse cultures and environments that make up the whole that is the Big Island.
I LOVE cactuses. Wherever you look around, you see a lot of them. They are grown in this area because it's much more... more travel advice
Perfect view to Mauna Kea and its observatories. You just have to have luck to catch Waimea on a clear day. more travel advice
KiNyA's Related Pages
Waimea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waimea - Kauai has it all!"
- "Waimea Bay, Oahu"
- "Waimea & the Canyon"
- "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific"
- "Cowboy Heartland"
- "Paniolo Pride!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waimea
- Hotels in Waimea
- Transportation in Waimea
- Nightlife in Waimea
- Restaurants in Waimea
- Warnings and Dangers in Waimea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waimea
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Waimea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waimea
Photos in WaimeaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 61 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Girona Intro, 20 reviews, 124 photos, 8 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 39 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 21 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Marina di Pietrasanta Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vransko Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isola d' Elba Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos