"...Lipica..." Lipica by KiNyA
Lipica Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 166 photos
*** It lies in the middle of the Slovenian karst, just 3 km out of Sezana, near the Italian border.
*** It was founded in the year 1580 by the Austrian archduke Charles.
*** This is where the lipizzaner horses have their origins.
*** Over 400 years of tradition.
*** Nowdays beside watching horses you can experience Lipica much more active - by riding horses, bicycles, hiking...
After year 1990, this was my second visit to this beautiful place. The only thing I remember from my 1st visiting was the presentation of the Classical Riding School.
Now alredy at the enterance I was quite surprised. Many things have been renewed - especially the activities for the visitors.
Inside you can see different colors of Lipizzaners. Somewhere, in a small meadow in the middle of the forrest, I found a bunch of cuuuuuute gray horses. In case you don't know, the Lipizzaner horses are born black or dark brown and within the 3 years they get white or light grey. These ones must be one year and a half old.
The Lipizzan horse is a special breed: of medium growth, a deep and broad horse. Its height is some 160 cm measured by cord, and has got the shape of a lying rectangular. Its lively eyes give an intelligent look. The ears are well positioned, a long and muscular neck is set high, as well as the tail which is thick and nicely supported by the horse. The mane and the tail are of thick, silky mane. The legs are strong, muscular, the joints are well-marked and broad. Moving on the Karst ground makes the hooves very hard indeed, but rather small for the size of the horse, and well shaped. The stride is high and gracious, energetic and unique, proud and dignified, which made the Lipizzan horse excel as a parade horse over other breeds, and for the Riding Academy. All the beauty of the Lipizzan is seen in motion: its grace lies in the harmony of movements. Its imposing bearing and the famous stride made it famous world-wide. This breed is known as extremely solid and late mature horses: they are fully developed with at the age of seven, and can live up to the age of thirty and be still useful for work. A particular feature of them is that they are not born white but bay, black or grey. It is only later, usually between the sixth and tenth year, that they turn white, gradually over grey. There are also dark coloured Lipizzan horses.
An important measure in the selection work is the qualification test of the breeding stock. Ever since the stallions had to prove that their good traits, work capacity, obedience, suppleness and endurance under saddle and in span were passed on their descendants. Only those stallions which were four years in training ("school") and met the requirements of the breed, could become breeding stallions in the Lipica stud. This demanding test over hundreds of years made the Lipizzan horses strengthen their excellent qualities, such as good nature, reliability, the elegance of gaits - a reliable and really imposing stride, and good learning capacity.
TAKEN FROM WWW.UNI.GOV.SI << Visit the page to get more info.
- Pros:Dream place for the nature and horse lovers.
- Cons:In places it is still very old, should be more modernisized.
- In a nutshell:Home of the lipizzaners.
KiNyA's Related Pages
Lipica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of Lipizzaners - UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- "Home of the worlds most beautiful horses."
- "Lipica - Home of the Famous Horses"
- "DOBRODOSLI TO MY LIPICA PAGE......:-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lipica
- Hotels in Lipica
- Transportation in Lipica
- Nightlife in Lipica
- Restaurants in Lipica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lipica
- 1 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Lipica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lipica
Photos in LipicaSee All Photos (45)
Videos in LipicaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 61 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Girona Intro, 20 reviews, 124 photos, 8 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 39 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 21 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Marina di Pietrasanta Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vransko Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isola d' Elba Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos