"...Vysoke Tatry..." Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry by KiNyA
Vysoke Tatry Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 404 photos
The Tatras mountains (Tatry) are Slovakia's biggest attraction for most foreign tourists – and with a splendid, jagged central massif rising abruptly out of a green plain, it's easy to see why, even from distance.
For all their majesty, the High Tatras are surprisignly compact – about 25 km from west to east. They are relatively young, their sharp summits and broad valleys carved by glaciers. Three dozen valleys contain over 1000 tarns, small glacial lakes, and dense pine forest skirts the range below 1600 m.
Naturally, they are a magnet for fresh-air enthusiasts from all over Europe. They're heavily developed, and in high summer and winter densely crowded.
The Tatras are part of the 795 sq km Tatry National Park (Tatransky narodny park), Czechoslovakia's first national park, founded in 1949. The range also extends into Poland, where there is also a national park.
The park's administrative centre, and the main gateaway to the Tatras, is Poprad. At the foot of the central range i a string of resort 'villages' that began as sanatoria centres, to which Europeans flocked for the 'climate cure'. Stary Smokovec was the first, founded in the 1870s. They're administered from Poprad, though Stary Smokovec now has some administrative independance.
Stretching up across the mountains are hundeds of kilometres of trails, with enough day hikers and superb long walks to keep you here for years. You can enjoy Limnicky Stit without walking at all, thanks to an audacious cable car to the summit.
The main east-west regional highway passes through Poprad, while an upper road joins all the resorts in a line. Stary Smokovec, at 990 m, is the biggest resort centre, with the most facilities and connections. To the west is the touritsty Strbske Pleso (1350 m), and to the east the more peaceful Tatranska Lomnica (850 m). Poprad is linked to all the resorts by road and a convenient train.
Most of us had MayaMaya backpacks :-) Comfortable clothes for hiking Yashica Zoommate 150 Waitec Caddy 01 more travel advice
Vysoke Tatry is really nice place for hiking. Footpaths are very nice, not difficult at all. What I was missing here was... more travel advice
KiNyA's Related Pages
Vysoke Tatry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chamois country"
- "Nad Tatrou sa blyska"
- "Vysoke Tatry - Slovakia's Highest Mountains"
- "...Vysoke Tatry..."
- "High Tatras"
- "Clear mountain air"
- "VYSOKE TATRY SLOVAKIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vysoke Tatry
- Hotels in Vysoke Tatry
- Transportation in Vysoke Tatry
- Restaurants in Vysoke Tatry
- Shopping in Vysoke Tatry
- Warnings and Dangers in Vysoke Tatry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vysoke Tatry
- 21 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Vysoke Tatry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vysoke Tatry
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 61 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Girona Intro, 20 reviews, 124 photos, 8 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 39 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 21 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Marina di Pietrasanta Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vransko Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isola d' Elba Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos