"Amazing Oamaru" Top 5 Page for this destination Oamaru by K1W1
Oamaru Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 98 photos
This was my home town when I was growing up and as I return to visit, it is easy to see that the focus of this quiet agricultural based town has shifted dramatically.
As I drove into town, I saw what looked like a tourist with a camera dangling around his neck - was he lost ?? This is Oamaru and tourists never stopped here !
It didn't take long to realise that Oamaru, which once relied on the continued business at the Waitaki Freezing Works to prevent the town from turning into a ghost town, had discovered a new industry, tourism.
With the historic buildings district (which currently has a proposal put forward to UNESCO for its protection), and the Blue Penguin colony being the major drawcards, it then doesn't take much scratching under the surface to see that there is actually quite a lot to see and do whilst visiting Oamaru.
The penguins have become a major attraction in Oamaru over the past few years. These yellow eyed penguins are a bit... more travel advice
K1W1's Related Pages
Oamaru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Architecture & Historical"
- "Oamaru, Penguin Country..."
- "Penquins and Stone"
- "Oamaru and It's White Stone."
- "Amazing Oamaru"
- "Please be patient with this Page..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oamaru
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Oamaru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oamaru
Photos in OamaruSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos
- Peru Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Brazil Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Argentina Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Cruz Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bolivia Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Moscow Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos