"Manhattan of the desert" Say'un by K1W1
Say'un Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 71 photos
Sayun is a small town, way out in the desert to the east of Yemen. It has a couple of worthwhile sites of its own, namely the huge central palace the old town, constructed of only mud bricks and the 'old town', also created just out of mud bricks. Sayun is also the base many travellers use to visit the amazing Shibam.
Dubbed as the Manhattan of the desert, Shibam is widely believed to be the first city of skyscrapers in the world. The city was built with clay and the amazingly the 6 storey buildings are still standing and inhabited. It is a great testament to the original architects that the city is still standing, but it is now taking millions of Euros to maintain this UNESCO site. Getting lost among the narrow alleys in the shadows of the buildings while dodging the goats and children running around is a real highlight -Iýve not seen another city that compares. For the best overall view, take some time to climb the mountain, or at least some of the way, to see the city at sunset
The bus I travelled on from Salalah arrived in Sayun at 20:30 and all exchange offices were closed. Fortunately the... more travel advice
K1W1's Related Pages
Say'un Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Time for another lemonade."
- "Manhattan of the desert"
- "City in the Wadi"
- "Welcome to Sayun"
- "Old center of the Incense Trade Route"
- "Wadi Hadramawt and the Eastern Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Say'un
- Hotels in Say'un
- Transportation in Say'un
- Nightlife in Say'un
- Restaurants in Say'un
- Shopping in Say'un
- Warnings and Dangers in Say'un
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Say'un
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Say'un?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Say'un
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos
- Peru Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Brazil Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Argentina Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Cruz Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bolivia Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Moscow Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos