"Oracle at Delphi" Delphi by MITNIC
Delphi Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 955 photos
179 Kilometres Southeast (SE) of Athens, is the oracle at Delphi about 760m hi from the sea level at Parnassos mount with a incredible view of the valley of Itea, fool of olive trees. It is at Unesco - World Heritage List, one of the 5 five great Greek oracles. Delphi, is one of the most beautiful and impressing landscapes of Greece, and the centre -"omphalos "- of the world, according to the ancient myth.
The new city of Delphi, which was transferred a km western, after the excavations in 1892, with a population of 1.500, is characterized by a modern touristy city and have all types of visitors. Here, we see the European Cultural Center of Delphi, the house of Aggelos Sikelianos, a branch of the Arts School as well as many stores and workshops of folklore art.
The Archaeological museum is under renovation by the moment so only 2 rooms are open to public. You can see Omphalos (a cone that stood in the exact center of the world -according their thought-, and the famous bronze statue of the Charioteer. 478 B.C.
One of the best preserved stadium of antiquity, The Stadium was constructed in the 5th century B.C. and was remodelled... more travel advice
built in the Ionic order, has seven fluted columns, each made from a single stone. 478 B.C. more travel advice
MITNIC's Related Pages
Delphi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Delphi Ancient and Modern"
- "Journey in time..."
- "Delphi - where man was closest to the gods"
- "A Day Trip To Delphi"
- "The pythoness is extinct!"
- "The Navel of the Earth"
- "Delphi (Delfos) nest of Gods"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delphi
- Hotels in Delphi
- Transportation in Delphi
- Nightlife in Delphi
- Restaurants in Delphi
- Shopping in Delphi
- Warnings and Dangers in Delphi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delphi
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Delphi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delphi
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 20 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prefecture of Pieria Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Aleksinac Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kea Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 4 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Thessaloniki Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nis Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nisos Kythnos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues