"NISOS KOS" Kos Island by MITNIC
Kos Island Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 539 photos
Kos, Hippocrates island. The third largest of the Dodecanese Island complex. Is Located North (N) of: NISSYROS, Island, 6 Nautical miles South (S) of KALYMNOS, Island, 2 Nautical miles South (S) of PSERIMOS, Island.
Population (1991). 26379
It is mostly flat with two low mountains. Dikaio (875 m.) and Simpatro.
The capital, Kos, is situated on the north-east of the island. at the back of an open bay.
Around the port you can still see the ruins of the ancient city .the Agora of the Classical era, sections of wall from the Classical period, the foundations of a temple of Aphrodite and another temple. probably dedicated to Heracles. Of Hellenistic and Roman times the Gymnasium, Odeon. Roman baths, a Roman mansion with beautiful mosaics, and the castle, built between 1450 and 1478 after the Knights of St.John took over the island.
In a area 4 kilometres west of town, you will find the Asklepieion (Asklipiio) or Sanctuary of Asklepios.
This Blu sailing boat was our base for discover the island. You see many times I have sailed there and the only thing I had seen was this port! This time finally we have five days to go around! Superb!
Ps. I have no idea about hotels,room, situation but I can insure you it was overfull that time.
Port of Kos
KOS Ancient city.
Ancient theatre 4 km of Kos Town.
Altar of Dionysos
Tel: +30 22420 28326.
Odeion of Cos
Non-organized archeological site
Site is always open, free admission.
Ancient monuments, Mosaics, Odeum from Roman era.
Organized archeological site. Admission fee
Ancient monuments, Mosaics from
Hellenistic period(323-31 BC). Statues, Villa from Roman era.
West Archaeological Site
Archaeological Site of Asklipiio
Tel : +30 22420 28763
Fixed hours, Admission fee. Organized archeological site
Ancient settlement, Mycenaean settlement. Ancient historic times(1100 BC-324 AD). Asclepieium
Hellenistic period(323-31 BC). Ancient monuments, sanctuaries, sanctuary of Apollo, baths from Roman era. Stoa from Hellenistic period(323-31 BC). Altars.
Archaeological Museum of Kos
Exhibits from Altar of Dionysos. Archaeological Site of Asklipiio.
85300 KOS, DODEKANISSOS, GREECE
Tel : +30 22420 28326
Latitude: 36°53’N Longitude: 027°19’E Time Zone: GMT +2 Max. Draft: 8.0m The principal port on the Aegean island of Kos,... more travel advice
MITNIC's Related Pages
Kos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short name, long vacation :)"
- "Island of Hippocrates"
- "THE GREEK ISLAND OF KOS"
- "Kos Island, a wonderful island."
- "Kos town"
- "About the Dodecanese islands and Kos"
- "Kos, a dream for all the travellers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kos Island
- Hotels in Kos Island
- Transportation in Kos Island
- Nightlife in Kos Island
- Restaurants in Kos Island
- Shopping in Kos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Kos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kos Island
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kos Island
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 20 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prefecture of Pieria Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Aleksinac Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kea Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 4 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Thessaloniki Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nis Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nisos Kythnos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (70)
Latest Kos Island hotel reviews
- Neptune Hotels Resort and Convention Centre and Spa
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013