"POROS, UNDER CONSTUCTION" Top 5 Page for this destination Poros Island by MITNIC
Poros Island Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 166 photos
Poros island is located 31 Nautical miles South of Peraeus, very close to Argolida in the Peloponesse, separated only by a very narrow channel. Approaching the island from the sea provides an unforgettable view.The town of Poros is built with Greek island tradition with blue and white colours.
Poros Island in the Saronic Gulf to the NE of Troizen. It was known as Kalauria (Strab. 8.6.14) and Kalaureia (Apoll. Rhod. III 1243) in antiquity. Chanddler (Voy. As. Mm. Grece I 228) identified Poros as Kalauria. The ancient city was located at the highest part of Poros. At first it was independent, with a high magistrate called tamias but later came under the dominion of Troizen. The area was inhabited from the Early Helladic period. The city preserves sections of the Hellenistic walls, a contemporary stoa and an unidentified heroon that lie at the agora. The harbor of the city was named Pogon. A street led from it to the Temple of Poseidon through a propylon. The cult on the area dates to the beginning of the 8th c. B.C. The temple, enclosed in a peribolos, is a Doric peripteros (6 x 12 columns) and dates to ca. 520 B.C. Between the temple and the propylon there were three stoas dating in the 4th c. B.C. and a fourth dating ca. 420 B.C. Another long stoa and a rectangular building lie SW of the hieron. The latter has been associated with the convention of the maritime amphictyony of Kalauria (Strab. 8.6.14). The tomb of Demosthenes, who poisoned himself at the sanctuary in 332 B.C., was still preserved in the time of Pausanias (2.33.3).
D. Schilardi, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains 12 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Postal Code: 18020
Tel +30 22980
Altitude: 22 meters
Longitude: 23o 28' 30" E
Latitude: 37o 30' 44" N
At year 1991 population 3570
MODI ,1 Nautical mile East of POROS Port. Longitude 23o 31' 54" Latitude: 37o 30' 42" PLATIA North of POROS... more travel advice
MITNIC's Related Pages
Poros Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Island of Poseidon"
- "One of the smaller Greek Islands"
- "Poros, a weekend excursion"
- "POROS, UNDER CONSTUCTION"
- "Poros in March"
- "Poros, Greece"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poros Island
- Hotels in Poros Island
- Transportation in Poros Island
- Nightlife in Poros Island
- Restaurants in Poros Island
- Shopping in Poros Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poros Island
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Poros Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poros Island
Photos in Poros IslandSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 20 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prefecture of Pieria Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Aleksinac Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kea Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 4 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos
- Thessaloniki Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nis Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nisos Kythnos Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues