Yosemite National Park Restaurant Tips by jessicadf
Yosemite National Park Restaurants: 50 reviews and 44 photos
Hangin' at the Iron Door Saloon
The Iron Door Saloon is the oldest continously operated drinking establishment in California, and is on the National Registry of Historic places, or whatever that list is called. It got its name from the iron doors at the front and back of the building, which were hauled up to Groveland via horse and cart in the 1800's. The idea being that if fire broke out, they could just shut the doors and keep the building from burning down. Um. Yeah.
Anyway, this is still a very lively bar, night club and restaurant. You can eat in the saloon, or to the building next door, to which it's connected, in a quieter atmosphere. However, if you eat in the bar on an evening when a band is going to play, they'll wave your admission charge for the band.
Favorite Dish: I had the fettuccini alfredo with chicken and veggies. Very good! Of course it was too much food and without a refrigerator and/or microwave in the hotel room, taking left-overs was out. It would be perfect to share with a dining partner though!
Address: 18761 Main Street, Groveland, CA 95321
Comparison: about average
Directions: MAIN DIRECTIONS: FOLLOW SIGNS YOSEMITE!
TO GROVELAND FROM BAY AREA
Take 580 E to I-205 E (45 mi)
205 E to I-5 North (14 mi)
I-5 to highway 120 (2.5 mi)
Stay on 120 until you get to Groveland (70mi)
Other Contact: email@example.com
Awahnee dining by night
I'd heard for many years about the high quality of dining at the Ahwahnee, and brought along a dress and nice shoes, in case we decided to dine here for my birthday dinner. And yes, I was glad to have brought along a nice dress!
The gorgeous, grand dining room is special, just in its ambiance and golden glow. The staff are very attentive, polite and friendly. Word is, many of the staff are climbers and outdoorsmen that work at the Ahwahnee so they can live in Yosemite.
The food is all delicious and creative and wonderfully prepared, with a wide selection of meat, poultry, seafood and vegetarian dishes.
Favorite Dish: The crispy prawn appetizer was absolutely delicious. And Mark's filet mignon was so good I thought he was going to lick the plate -- seriously! And that from a guy with the tiniest appetite I've ever known in a guy...
Address: Located inside the Ahwahnee Hotel
Comparison: most expensive
Directions: In Yosemite Valley, follow the signs to Yosemite Village and then the signs to the Ahwahnee Hotel.
Phone: (209) 372-1489
Price: US$41 and up
More Reviews (30)
- See All Hetch Hetchy Resevoir
- See All Fishing is a good thing
- See All Try not to speed
- See All Perhaps you'll even take up rock...
- Go for a walk to Mirror Lake
jessicadf's Related Pages
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Incomparable Valley (and Park)"
- "Yosemite in a day"
- "On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
- "Yosemite National Park"
- "The Glacial Beauty of Yosemite National Park"
- "Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"
- "As Good As It Gets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yosemite National Park
- Hotels in Yosemite National Park
- Transportation in Yosemite National Park
- Nightlife in Yosemite National Park
- Restaurants in Yosemite National Park
- Shopping in Yosemite National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yosemite National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Torrevieja Hotels
- Maasin Hotels
- Colchester Hotels
- Burgas Hotels
- Isla del Sol
- Deception Pass State Park
Badges & Stats in Yosemite National Park
- 32 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 71 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Yosemite National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yosemite National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best rental car company for..."
- Commented on one of frank_delargy's Yosemite National Park travel pages
- updated a Yosemite National Park Travel Page "Yosemite - My Favorite National Park (so far)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Packing List"
- Wrote a Review Hetch Hetchy Resevoir about Water Ways in Yosemite National Park Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Yosemite National ParkSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Point Reyes Station Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 61 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sausalito Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Novato Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Yosemite National Park hotel reviews
- Yosemite Lodge At The Falls
- 1103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Wawona Hotel
- 543 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Housekeeping Camp
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2013
- The Ahwahnee
- 765 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Curry Village
- 745 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Yosemite West Condominiums
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 3, 2013
- The Redwoods In Yosemite
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013
- Yosemite Creek Campground
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2011
- E. C. Yosemite Motel
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Upper Pines Campground
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hodgdon Meadow Campground
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 8, 2012
- Crane Flat Campground
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 27, 2013
- Tuolumne Meadows Campground
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Yosemite Foresta Hilltop Cabins
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Glacier Point- 45 Reviews, 88 Photos
- Mariposa Grove- 48 Reviews, 93 Photos
- Yosemite Falls- 54 Reviews, 115 Photos
- Bridal Veil Falls- 36 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Yosemite Valley- 54 Reviews, 105 Photos
- El Capitan- 41 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Tioga Road- 27 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Half Dome- 45 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Vernal Falls- 35 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Wildlife- 21 Reviews, 48 Photos