"Sausalito - a village by the bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Sausalito by jessicadf
Sausalito Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 335 photos
Once again, I called Sausalito home for a month in the Spring of 2004, while waiting for my new house in Novato What a lucky girl I am!
I'd always heard that Sausalito had first started as a Portuguese fishing village. However in creating this page I did a little research and found differently!
Sausalito started out, as far as Europeans are concerned, pre-goldrush as Mr. Richardson's dream of his own empire across the bay from San Francisco. There was farming, cattle and the sale of water and lumber to ships that came in to the San Francisco Bay. When the Gold Rush came, the town was overrun by folks who didn't give a hoot about the laws. Over the years the town went through periods of feast and famine (figuratively), with major feast during World War II as it became a major shipyard for the US Navy (50,000 workers). Now it's mostly a tourist destination, but still home to an active artist community.
Follow this link to learn more about the history of Sausalito
Obviously one of the most remarkable things about Sausalito is the view. Looking across the water you can see mountains, islands, bridges and, of course, cities.
- Pros:Quaint, by the water, great views, good food, great walking
- Cons:Tourist prices, expensive place to live, cold in the Summer
- In a nutshell:Where I grew up and where feels like home
One of my favorite monuments in Sausalito is this seal statue. It's mounted atop a rock which is submerged under the bay... more travel advice
A very common site in Sausalito are bicycle riders. Locals and tourists, alike, peddle their way through town. By far,... more travel advice
- See All Tasty Italian food with great people...
- See All Another beautiful apartment
- Herring fishing
jessicadf's Related Pages
Sausalito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sausalito - a village by the bay"
- "A Bay Cruise to Sausolito"
- "Sausalito a nice little City across the S F Bay."
- "A quaint town across the bay from San Francisco"
- "Are these Sausalito Sally's?"
- "Cycling from SF to Sausalito"
- "A quick tour of Sausalito"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sausalito
- Hotels in Sausalito
- Transportation in Sausalito
- Nightlife in Sausalito
- Restaurants in Sausalito
- Shopping in Sausalito
- Warnings and Dangers in Sausalito
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sausalito
- 44 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 72 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Sausalito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sausalito
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best rental car company for..."
- Wrote a Review Sausalito Seal is Back on it's Rock in Sausalito Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sausalito Seal is Back on it's Rock"
- Commented on one of jessicadf's Sausalito travel pages
- updated a Sausalito Travel Page "Sausalito - a village by the bay"
Photos in SausalitoSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Point Reyes Station Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 61 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sausalito Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Novato Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues