"Sausalito - a village by the bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Sausalito by jessicadf

Sausalito Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 335 photos

Somehow it's home now and again

Once again, I called Sausalito home for a month in the Spring of 2004, while waiting for my new house in Novato What a lucky girl I am!

I've learned something new in creating this page

I'd always heard that Sausalito had first started as a Portuguese fishing village. However in creating this page I did a little research and found differently!

Sausalito started out, as far as Europeans are concerned, pre-goldrush as Mr. Richardson's dream of his own empire across the bay from San Francisco. There was farming, cattle and the sale of water and lumber to ships that came in to the San Francisco Bay. When the Gold Rush came, the town was overrun by folks who didn't give a hoot about the laws. Over the years the town went through periods of feast and famine (figuratively), with major feast during World War II as it became a major shipyard for the US Navy (50,000 workers). Now it's mostly a tourist destination, but still home to an active artist community.

Follow this link to learn more about the history of Sausalito
<br>

Obviously one of the most remarkable things about Sausalito is the view. Looking across the water you can see mountains, islands, bridges and, of course, cities.

• Pros:Quaint, by the water, great views, good food, great walking
  • Cons:Tourist prices, expensive place to live, cold in the Summer
  • In a nutshell:Where I grew up and where feels like home
  • Last visit to Sausalito: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2005

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2008 at 10:04 AM

very nice sausalito tips -- we'll be going today! Here in San Jose for Mom bday...:)jumpingnorman

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2007 at 7:15 AM

Good page! Wish I could re-visit Sausalito now that my kids are grown. Loved it when I went many years ago. Would love to try the restaurants you recommend.

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 2:37 PM

I visited Sausalito briefly, the two times I was SF. Thought it was lovely. Enjoyed reading your tips, wondered how scary those hills would be with snow on them and basically drooled at the description of that Marindian restaurant!

• DanielF's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 1:44 PM

I have heard many times about Sausalito, but never really researched about it. Curiously, it reminds me a lot of my home-town on the European side of the Atlantic.

• Mar 30, 2005 at 7:44 PM

oh i must have driven past sausilto in G_G's gogomobile hey? and yes, you are looking great, and i mean it. incredible says so! ;-)

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 7:40 PM

Hey, I do have a Sausalito shirt that I bought from that store! Lovely page for a lovely city. I saved a few of the restaurant tips in my custom guide, so thanks.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2005 at 12:40 PM

Thanks Karen - you're right! Supposedly there's a really good, new French restaurant here, in Novato. I have to check it out and see. If a REALLY good restaurant opened here, I'd be in heaven.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2005 at 12:17 PM

Just stopped by to check out you updates on your Sausalito page! You are so right about Poggio. We went there a couple of weeks ago and had the most fabulous dinner! It's so nice when Marin gets restaurants that compete with SF!

• Dec 10, 2004 at 3:53 AM

this place is been there since 1966. Still family owned......Best fish ^ chips in the Bay Area 2 thumbs up!!!

• IceBear7's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 9:10 AM

thanks for this great page - I am just off NOW to a bicycle trip across golden gate bridge to sausalito :-)

jessicadf

“Control is an illusion”

Badges & Stats in Sausalito

Have you been to Sausalito?