San Rafael Off The Beaten Path Tips by jessicadf Top 5 Page for this destination
San Rafael Off The Beaten Path: 12 reviews and 12 photos
An afternoon picnic
Take a drive out the Marin County backroads to visit the Rouge et Noir cheese factory. They make tasty brie and camembert. You can tour the facilities, buy some lunch and eat by the pond, feeding the extra bits of your baguette to the ducks!
7500 Red Hill Road
Petaluma, CA 94952
Phone: (800) 292-6001
The view from Miwok Meadows
A great place for a picnic or other event. There are several picnic spots that can be reserved. The biggest, most secluded and best is Miwok Meadows. It's big enough for a couple hundred people and is... well, it's a perfect spot for a party. This was the site for our July 2003 VT Looney Luau, and those that attended all agreed... rockin' spot!
You never know what you'll see in West Marin. What do you think? Ostrich or emu? I've seen llamas in this same pen from time to time.
Kali - a Redtailed Hawk
This volunteer center rescues, cares for, rehabilitates and releases back to nature wild animals in Marin County. Staffed by volunteers and publicly funded, this is a wonderful place. You can go there 7 days a week to check out the latest inhabitants and patients. Heck, volunteer if you've got the time! Lovely place.
Phone: (415) 453-1000
When in Marin, you must go for a drive (or a bike ride!) through the West Marin (also known as the 'Backroads'). These roads will take you to Point Reyes, Petaluma, Bodega Bay, Tomales Bay, Dog Town... but often it's the journey, not the destination that's the reward.
More Reviews (56)
- See All Chocolate coffee pie
- See All Groceries - organic and otherwise
- See All A rare treat: Indonesian food
- See All Hula is GREAT exercise!
- You pretty much need a vehicle
jessicadf's Related Pages
San Rafael Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Rafael CA"
- "Once upon a time this was home sweet home"
- "San Rafael - Hub of Marin"
- "A week in San Rafael"
- "A little HAWAIIAN in San Rafael"
- "A Little Bit of Hawaii - VT Luau, July 26, 2003"
- "Loony Lu'au and a Weekend to beat all."
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Rafael
- Hotels in San Rafael
- Transportation in San Rafael
- Nightlife in San Rafael
- Restaurants in San Rafael
- Shopping in San Rafael
- Warnings and Dangers in San Rafael
- See All...
Explore the World
- Falmouth Hotels
- Onne Hotels
- Long Ashton Hotels
- Twin Falls State Park Hotels
- Tagbilaran City
- Vancouver Off The Beaten Path
- Goa Off The Beaten Path
- Montana Off The Beaten Path
- Vancouver Island Off The Beaten Path
- Wyoming Off The Beaten Path
- Halifax Off The Beaten Path
- Natchez Off The Beaten Path
- Santa Cruz Off The Beaten Path
- Biloxi Off The Beaten Path
- Lisbon Off The Beaten Path
- Provincetown Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in San Rafael
- 61 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 133 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to San Rafael?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Rafael
- Uploaded a Photo to "U'uku Lu'au - The Looney Luau!"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best rental car company for..."
- Wrote a Review Chocolate coffee pie about Food / Drink in San Rafael Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of karenincalifornia's San Rafael travel pages
- updated a San Rafael Travel Page "Once upon a time this was home sweet home"
Photos in San RafaelSee All Photos (94)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Point Reyes Station Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 61 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sausalito Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Novato Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (76)
Latest San Rafael hotel reviews
- Embassy Suites Hotel San Rafael-Marin County/Conference Center
- 342 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- North Bay Inn San Rafael
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Four Points By Sheraton San Rafael
- 292 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Looney Lu'au- 7 Reviews, 7 Photos
- San Rafael Mission- 3 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Marin County Center- 3 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Farmer's Market- 3 Reviews, 2 Photos
- San Quentin State Prison- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- China Camp Park- 4 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Muir Beach- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Muir Woods- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Marin County Fair- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Martian Civic Center- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
See All San Rafael Things to Do