"Once upon a time this was home sweet home" Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael by jessicadf

San Rafael Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 346 photos

Say bye bye to the apartment

The last night in the apartment and I'm down to my computer, VT and a couple of final boxes.

My home - once upon a time

San Rafael, California was my home for 10 years. I've recently bought a house in Novato, and will be moving there in June. Until then, I'm moving to Sausalito...a Marin county girl am I, for better or for worse.

San Rafael is in the center of Marin County, which is just North of San Francisco. To get to Marin, take the Golden Gate Bridge out of San Francisco. When you get halfway across the bridge, you'll be in Sausalito, the first town in Marin County. San Rafael is about 20 minutes North.

My mother grew up in Sausalito, and I spent a fair amount of time there as a child. I mainly lived in Novato, the farthest North town in Marin, while growing up. For the past 7 years, I've lived in San Rafael.

From my old apartment, on top of a hill, I have a view of the North part of the San Francisco Bay (the section I see is called San Pablo Bay), and the view from my carport is of Mount Tamalpais. Marin is a beautiful, beautiful place to be... while I've traveled a great deal in my life, my heart has always filled with joy to return home, here.

A below freezing morning

I don't particularly love my apartment, but one thing it does posess is a spectacular view from the living room and balcony.

• Last visit to San Rafael: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2004

• FredMarlin's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 10:30 AM

I got a girlfriend in Rafeal. Never been there. Maybe someday. Your pics are nice.

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2005 at 11:04 AM

Who will ever forget the time when the Yeehaas ran out of beer? The long forgotten civilization of the Yippie-Ky-ay-aye came out of the desert like a mirage to save them with more Budweiser. So many rifles being shot into the air with glee!

• sunlovey's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2005 at 12:44 PM

Your ridiculously good birthday cake looks just that... RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. I am a berry fanatic so it's righ up my alley. Cool pages...

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2005 at 10:04 AM

Sent a couple of cake postcards to my daughter for "hints". These look wonderful!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 7:37 PM

Very informative glance at your former hometown. They have a terrific looking farmers' market. We may have more farmers down her in rural Florida, but you've got a better market. : )

• Mar 19, 2005 at 2:55 PM

Ha-ha...you found the CHEESE! The sun is out now, and I'm gardening. Just potting up those morning glories I started a few weeks ago. I want to take care of these seedlings before I take off!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2005 at 7:28 PM

Man... 9:30pm, and I read recipes for yummy cakes... thats really not fair!

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 2:44 PM

I love your recipes! Thanks for sharing. Great tips and pics. I dare say, Mimi is a beautiful cat. You know, I think I'll try a old sport... hula hoop! ;-) ~Elaine~

• davequ's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 1:10 AM

A Red Boy pepperoni is now on my "things 2do before your dead" list. Thanks for sharing.

• nomada's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2005 at 2:45 PM

Oh nooooo, more chocolate cake! this will definitively kill me... (great recipes anyway)

jessicadf

“Control is an illusion”

Badges & Stats in San Rafael

Have you been to San Rafael?

Photos in San Rafael