"Right in the middle of Marin County" Mount Tamalpais State Park by jessicadf
Mount Tamalpais State Park Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 16 photos
...Mount Tamalpais, one of the largest peaks in the San Francisco Bay area. An extinct volcano, its name comes from the language of the Native Americans that lived in the area, the Miwoks. Tamalpais means, "Sleeping Lady, " or "Sleeping Princess." The profile of the mountain does, indeed, look like a woman with long, flowing hair, resting on her back. Beautiful.
The mountain is a California State Park with many hiking, biking and road trails, as well as an outdoor amphitheater where every year the "Mountain Play" is held. This year the play is "Annie."
Marin County is known for its, "micro-climates," where one town is frigid while another is sweltering. Mount Tam can typify the microclimates, just in a hike. Pictured here is a beautiful old oak, atop the mountain on a sunny afternoon.
And here is a beautiful waterfall, about 2 miles down the mountain. What you cannot see is that there was fog rolling in above the trees, and it was getting a little chilly. Not 30 minutes from the sunny picture, taken above.
jessicadf's Related Pages
Mount Tamalpais State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Right in the middle of Marin County"
- "The golden hills of California"
- See All...
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mount Tamalpais State Park
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Mount Tamalpais State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Tamalpais State Park
Photos in Mount Tamalpais State ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Point Reyes Station Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 61 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sausalito Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Novato Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mumbai Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Lucia Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues