"On our way to Oklahoma City" Gainesville by mafootje
Gainesville Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 41 photos
A common problem on our vacations is that we have trouble to get stamps for our cards. Not because we can't find postal offices but just because we think "well we going to take the next" and then forget it.
So when we took a little side trip from the US 82 and saw a postal office i decided to pull over. Niki got some stamps and i took some pictures, thats's a bit all there was to our visit to Gainesville..
But after we got home i decided to get some more information on this town.
Gainesville is in the Cooke County geographical centerand is about 67 miles north of Dallas. The post office, opened in 1851. The town which was originally a point on the California trailn and established in 1850.
Till 1868 it was raided regularly but after the conditions stabilized the town grew by forms of cattle and cotton. It's now a gateway to Texas and located on two major highways which go accros the country.
Gainesville has multiple swimming pools, lakes, a golf course and a large municipal park.
Picture taken june 6, 2003 10:11
mafootje's Related Pages
Gainesville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gainesville--A Touch Of The Victorian in Texas"
- "Grew Up On The Railroad"
- "On our way to Oklahoma City"
- "Basaic Gainesville Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gainesville
- Restaurants in Gainesville
- Shopping in Gainesville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gainesville
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Gainesville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gainesville
Top 10 Pages
- Rotterdam Intro, 34 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Miami Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vlaardingen Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Orlando Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Key West Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Miami Beach Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Homestead Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Page Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue