"Bozo villages, out of time..." Macina by F_Meignant
Macina Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 13 photos
Macina is the large area covered by the inland delta of the Niger river. It's mainly occupied by Bozos and Peuls (Fulani).
Bozos are called "Les Maîtres du Fleuve" (the Masters of the River) and according to the legend, they put their babies in water for them to get gills... They are also supposed to speak to the fish: they are the main fishermen of the Macina region. They also make pottery with the clay of the river banks.
Despite the fact that they are a major key of the population for food, Bozos are very poor. In remote places, they often live in very precarious huts made of branches and reeds. Around cities like Mopti, they built more important villages and nice mosques.
According to some ethnologists, Bozos could be the ancestors of the Dogons.
Strange roots... Roots of the tree? Roots of people? Bozos seem to enjoy a lot the company of the trees.
- In a nutshell:Go and see...
F_Meignant's Related Pages
Macina Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Macina
- 1 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Macina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macina
Photos in MacinaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Yougopiri Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- France Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 5 reviews, 51 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mopti Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Othe Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lac Faguibine Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 27 photos, 1 travelogue