"Timbuktu, the forbidden city" Timbuktu by F_Meignant
Timbuktu Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 400 photos
Timbuktu… « La Ville 7 fois sainte »… « la Cité aux toits d’or »… « La Ville aux 333 Saints »…
Nowadays, the mythic city is only a pale shadow of its legend. Already in 1828 when he arrived there, the French René Caillié was a bit disappointed: according to the city’s fame, he was expecting lots of treasures. He just found houses built of earth, a large city surrounded by desert…
Caillié was the first Occidental who reached Timbuktu and came back alive. Several explorers tried to reach the city before him. In 1790, Major Daniel Houghton, recruited by the “African Association”, left Gambia and went East... He died before having reached the Niger River, probably killed by the Moors.
Major Gordon Laing tried another route: he left Tripoli in February 1826. He is the first European who reached Timbuktu. It was in May 1826. But he had to flee the city, which was forbidden to foreigners. He was finally killed by Tuaregs in the desert a few days later.
René Caillié left Guinea in April 1827. He put on a disguise of a Muslim pilgrim and said he was an Egyptian boy, raised by a soldier of Napoleon’s army and taken by him to Senegal… Thanks to his disguise, he could reach Timbuktu in April 1828. But he was very sick and only stayed 13 days in the city. He then joined a caravan, crossed the Sahara and finally reached Morocco, from where he was sent back in France, half dead because of sicknesses and starvation. He never recovered completely, and died in 1838. He was only 39 years old.
To visit the festival of Tuareg and West-African music of Essakane, click here:
"Festival au Désert"
- Pros:Myth and the mosque of Djingereyber.
- Cons:Sewage, rubbish...
- In a nutshell:Dig hard...
Timbuktu is in the middle of nowhere. It's not easy to reach. It's even more difficult to leave... It's reknown as a... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Nasty or sad things of Timbuktu...
Written May 9, 2016
F_Meignant's Related Pages
Timbuktu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Timbuktu, where the camel meets the canoe"
- "A classic amongst travellers"
- "I've been to Timbuktu, have you?"
- "Timbuktu, the forbidden city"
- "Timbuktu or bust"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Timbuktu
- Hotels in Timbuktu
- Transportation in Timbuktu
- Nightlife in Timbuktu
- Restaurants in Timbuktu
- Shopping in Timbuktu
- Warnings and Dangers in Timbuktu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Timbuktu
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Timbuktu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Timbuktu
Photos in TimbuktuSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Yougopiri Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- France Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 5 reviews, 51 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mopti Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Othe Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lac Faguibine Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 27 photos, 1 travelogue