"Traditions." Manéga by F_Meignant

Manéga Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos

Manéga is the village where was born Titinga Pacéré, a writer from Burkina, international lawyer and former President of the International Court for Rwanda.

A strange village that has entirely been changed into a kind of cultural centre: an open-air museum of big modern statues and monuments and an impressive museum of traditional masks and tombstones.
Surprising atmosphere.

Unexpected events are always funny.
When we arrived at Manéga coming from Kaya in our rotten car and wanted to buy tickets for the museum and fix an appointment with the King, we were told that it would be better to wait around one hour: they were waiting for a group from the BCEAO (Banque Centrale des Etats de l’Afrique de l’Ouest).
Finally, we made the visit with this group… and were invited to have lunch with them and participate to their party.

Local dancers and musicians were foreseen.
Nice African or local music... and even rock and roll... with this kind of castanets.
We had a lot of fun and of millet beer again!
I was just recovering from Ouroubono!

• Pros:The museum of tombstones and masks!
  • Cons:Statues are sometimes ugly... A matter of taste. LOL!
  • In a nutshell:Learning about local traditions.
  • Last visit to Manéga: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2004

• Jul 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I am reading all your pages about Mali and Bourkina Fasso because your observations are so wonderful! Thank you so much! As for me, I worked in Southern African villages in the 80s and can hardly wait to go to Mali and BF .

• Paul4Travel's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2005 at 8:55 AM

Excellent custom. I think it is a terrific way to say goodbye to a king by having a feast with him present. Shows great respect and is the antithesis of morbid.

• grishaV1's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 12:13 PM

really liked reading about this areaäs local customs, i had no idea but it was very interesting. thanks for sharing :-)))) grisha

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 10:43 AM

Now that's the way I'd like to go. A final party with all my family, friends and lovers, great. How do I apply to be king?

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 12:22 PM

Encore une superbe page!

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2004 at 9:04 AM

Fascinating.

• Mar 28, 2004 at 7:53 AM

Roi: Et chez vous? Tout va bien? Les affaires? La famille? F_Meignant: Bien... tout va bien Sa Majeste... business as usual.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2004 at 12:47 PM

Thanks for the wonderful tips about behaviour and habits. Very useful information.

Manéga Travel Guide

F_Meignant

“Say NO to fast thinking.”

Badges & Stats in Manéga