"Traditions." Manéga by F_Meignant
Manéga Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
Manéga is the village where was born Titinga Pacéré, a writer from Burkina, international lawyer and former President of the International Court for Rwanda.
A strange village that has entirely been changed into a kind of cultural centre: an open-air museum of big modern statues and monuments and an impressive museum of traditional masks and tombstones.
Unexpected events are always funny.
When we arrived at Manéga coming from Kaya in our rotten car and wanted to buy tickets for the museum and fix an appointment with the King, we were told that it would be better to wait around one hour: they were waiting for a group from the BCEAO (Banque Centrale des Etats de l’Afrique de l’Ouest).
Finally, we made the visit with this group… and were invited to have lunch with them and participate to their party.
Local dancers and musicians were foreseen.
Nice African or local music... and even rock and roll... with this kind of castanets.
We had a lot of fun and of millet beer again!
I was just recovering from Ouroubono!
- Pros:The museum of tombstones and masks!
- Cons:Statues are sometimes ugly... A matter of taste. LOL!
- In a nutshell:Learning about local traditions.
The throne of the dead Naba. When the King dies, his corpse is placed on this throne and all the inhabitants meet for a... more travel advice
This statue made of iron tubes is 15 metres high. It represents the “Chef des Terres” (Head of the Lands), the... more travel advice
F_Meignant's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Manéga
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Manéga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manéga
Top 10 Pages
- Yougopiri Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- France Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bergamo Intro, 5 reviews, 51 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mopti Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Othe Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lac Faguibine Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 27 photos, 1 travelogue