"Pyramide van Austerlitz Page" Austerlitz by egonwegh
Austerlitz Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 16 photos
We visited the Pyramid of Austerlitz raised by French soldiers of Napoleon under their general Auguste de Marmont in 1804. It was inspired, as you might have guessed, by the Emperor's campaign in Egypt.
Although Monseigneur de Marmont desired that the pyramid preserve his own name (Butte de Marmont), it was decided by the King of Holland - who also happened to be Napoleon's brother - that the pyramid should bear the name of 'Austerlitz', to commemorate the battle fought by Napoleon at that town.
A somewhat unexpected digression from the Napoleon trail that I have been following for so long now (see my pages on Paris, the Pyramids at Gizeh (2000), Waterloo (2003), Elba (2007) ...).
egonwegh's Related Pages
Austerlitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The pyramid of Austerlitz"
- "Napoleon's army camping in The Netherlands"
- "Pyramide van Austerlitz Page"
- "Pyramide of Austerlitz"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Austerlitz
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Austerlitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austerlitz
Photos in AusterlitzSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen Intro, 80 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 7 reviews, 39 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues