"Bizonbaai" Bizonbaai by egonwegh
Bizonbaai Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
The Bizonbaai (also spelled Bisonbaai) is a well-known nudist beach near Nijmegen. These pictures of fully clothed family members were taken in winter time.
A lot of tall stories (pun intended!) are being told about this place: the owner of the land, a farmer, supposedly earned a small fortune by asking entrance fees. No entrance fee is required nowadays...
That same farmer also lets his cows graze the meadows surrounding the beach. It is said that every now and then a cow dozes off and drowns in the water, but the farmer never removes the cadavers! (I think this must be some sort of urban legend intended to make people feel guilty about visiting this spot ...)
A prehistoric artefact dating back to the Stone Age, 2800 BC, was found under water back in the 1960s (Numaga 1965, p. 74) so apparently even our ancestors occassionally took a day off to visit this beach ...
Our local newspaper De Gelderlander - where would we be without it? - tells us the Bizonbaai is also one of only two places in the Netherlands where a subspecies of a plant called chaerophyllum ( I think it was "chaerophyllum aureum") can be found.
Opposite the footpath that leads to the beach lies Oortjeshekken, a small hotel and restaurant.
- In a nutshell:There's more to it than meets the eye ...
Monument on the dike opposite the Bizonbaai, to commemorate the evacuation of thousands of people in the 1990s. This was... more travel advice
Monument to civilian victims of World War II (1940-1945), village of Ooij, next to St. Hubertus Church. The sculpture, a... more travel advice
egonwegh's Related Pages
Bizonbaai Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bizonbaai
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Bizonbaai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bizonbaai
Photos in BizonbaaiSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 7 reviews, 39 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues