""L'eglise prisonnier de la banquise"" Kekerdom by egonwegh

Kekerdom Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 17 photos

A church trapped in the ice

Kekerdom, gate and graveyard next to the church, on a winter day (2003)

The village of Kekerdom lies to the east of Nijmegen along the river Waal. As you can see the local church lies on the 'wrong' side of the dike, well inside the river's winter bed. On this occasion the graveyard was flooded, and afterwards the entire stretch of water turned into ice!

Another view of the church trapped in the ice ... Unsteady camera added to the dramatical effect - seems as if the entire church is going to slide away on an avalanche of ice ...

Same church on a drawing dating back to 1742. Well - if the church lasted so many winters it will survive this time, I guess.

September 2005 - added a travelogue on our "wilderness" trip!

• Last visit to Kekerdom: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2005

• Jan 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Hello egonwegh, I was in this lovely little village at the weekend but unfortunately time meant that I had to cut short my visit. I will be coming next week to continue my way along the "Jakobsweg" and then I can get a better look at the village. The picture of the church in ice is amazing. The one thing that really took my notice as I came into Holland from Kranenburg was the amount of water that exists there. Simply lovely.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2005 at 8:52 AM

Wow, a Great Egret! I never saw one of those in The Netherlands before! Wat een heerlijke stukje natuurgebied is het hier! Groetjes en een fijn weekend! :-)

egonwegh

“Oja, daar moet ik ook nog heen ...!”

Badges & Stats in Kekerdom

Have you been to Kekerdom?

Latest Activity in Kekerdom