"egonwegh's own Nijmegen Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen by egonwegh

Nijmegen Travel Guide: 419 reviews and 767 photos

St. Stevenskerk (St. Stephan's Church) with its radiating chapels as seen from Korenmarkt.

"In quanto a Nimega si puo dire che ha una certa somiglianza con Roma ... perche anch'essa sorge su sette colli" (E. Zenuti, Vita Olandese, 1897), which I translate as: "Of Nijmegen it could be said that in some ways it resembles Rome, because it is also built on seven hills..."

My hometown was founded by the Romans, in the 14th century it became a member of the Hanseatic League - we sent a representative, for example, to the Hansetag on 24 June 1418 in L├╝beck - and an important graintrading centre.
I was born here, and Nijmegen has been the hometown of some of my ancestors since at least the early 17th century. Total number of inhabitants of the town of Nijmegen, as of January 1, 2014: 168,384.

Added the first, second and third part of a walk through Nijmegen, a travelogue on the Goffertpark with pictures of the pond in the rose garden and pictures of a visit of war veterans ...

Featured Nijmegen picture - Kanunnikenhuisjes

Kanunnikenhuisjes - most of them have now been converted into tiny shops, formerly they were town houses intended for the canons of the St. Stevenskerk (St. Stephan's Church).

• Intro Updated Jan 24, 2014

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2014 at 7:22 AM

a year later i discover an photo report of 16 libraries of the world worth visiting, any Dutch Library you'll include in this group? ;-)))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Nice photos and tips about your home town. I have never been to Nijmegen but I recently visited the far north and far south of the Netherlands and posted VT pages on Groningen and Maastricht.

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Thanks for sharing Egon...We will visit this weekend :-)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2011 at 6:36 AM

It is many years since I was last in Nijmegen and I've really enjoyed taking your walk around the town. I specially like the old buildings and am so glad to have at last found out more about the "Three standing figures" at the Station. Thank you.

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Hi Egon! Nice page and tx for the restaurant tips - the Kapinski pic made me chuckle;) Cheers, John.

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 7:56 AM

a very nice page thanx for the tips

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 7:26 AM

I am sure that in Holland there are much more to see than just going to Amsterdan! Great informative page about NIJMEGEN!!! ALLES BESTE!!! :)

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Nice Nijmegen pictures. I visited your town once for a confernce.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Interesting tips on your hometown. Wish I can try more Indonesian food when I was in Holland. Do drop by my Pulau Pinang page :) As for postcard, any chance you know someone in Suriname? Cheers.

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 6:26 AM

wonderful place to live! very nice page...

egonwegh Lives Here!

egonwegh

“Oja, daar moet ik ook nog heen ...!”

Badges & Stats in Nijmegen

Have you been to Nijmegen?

Latest Activity in Nijmegen