"Pampus Page" Pampus by egonwegh
Pampus Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 11 photos
Pampus is an isolated fortress located in the IJsselmeer, some three kilometers off the coast of Muiden.
Even before it was constructed, the fortress became the subject of fierce debate. The military commanders doubted its usefulness. The construction of the fortress was finally completed, and the costs proved to be the equivalent of the entire budget of the Ministry of War for one whole year ... The guns, there were four of them, had a range of about 8 kilometers. Inhabitants of the city of Muiden had to be warned beforehand when the guns were about to be tested, otherwise their window panes would all be destroyed by the force of the explosions! The force of the guns proved to be too much even for the fortress itself - the guns shook the foundations on which the fortress stood, and from time to time reconstructions had to be undertaken!
The fortress was fully operational during World War I - - but the Netherlands managed to stay out of that war. During World War II, the occupying forces disassembled the cannons as well as the metal hulls that shielded them, leaving two huge holes in the roof of the fortress. From the 1950s until the 1990s, the fortress was left unguarded most of the time and suffered more damage. Most of the graffiti found today dates from that period. From 1990 onwards, it has been a monument. Now, as part of the defense system around Amsterdam (Stelling van Amsterdam) it has even found its way unto Unesco's World Heritage List!
We were there on 7 August 2005. There's a ferry service from the town of Muiden, south-east of Amsterdam. The trip on the IJsselmeer takes about twenty minutes.
A bomb free corridor. It's called a poterne in the military vocabulary. With the poterne as our starting point, we... more travel advice
egonwegh's Related Pages
Pampus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pampus Page"
- "To lay in front of Pampus is not positive"
- "The fort island Pampus"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pampus
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Pampus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pampus
Photos in PampusSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen Intro, 74 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 7 reviews, 39 photos, 8 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thiézac Intro, 5 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues