"Akamas: Baths of Aphrodite, "Cyprian Groves"(?)" Polis by egonwegh
Polis Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 88 photos
View of the impressive coastline of the Akamas peninsula near the town of Polis.
The 'baths of Aphrodite'. So this is where, according to the legends, the goddess used to take her bath? I must admit it is a quiet and secluded place, but a bit dreary, in my humble opinion ...
It wasn't until much later that I happened to strike upon these lines by the poet Dryden: "Venus [...] will choose her dwelling, and forsake her Cyprian Groves" (King Arthur, the music is by Purcell).
I wonder if perhaps Dryden had this place in mind when he wrote that ... After all, Venus and Aphrodite are one and the same person, and the name Cyprian Groves would certainly befit this place!
Another story tells us that the Roman Emperor Titus visited the 'sanctuary of Aphrodite' near Paphos in the year 70 AD, after his conquest of the town of Jerusalem. Is this the same place?
Another view along the coastline at Akamas.
egonwegh's Related Pages
Polis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Polis or Polis tis Chrysohus"
- "Captivating Cyprus"
- "Akamas: Baths of Aphrodite, "Cyprian Groves"(?)"
- "North of Pafos"
- "Latsi / Latchi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Polis
- Hotels in Polis
- Transportation in Polis
- Restaurants in Polis
- Shopping in Polis
- Warnings and Dangers in Polis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Polis
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Polis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Polis
Photos in PolisSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen Intro, 74 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 19 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 7 reviews, 39 photos, 8 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thiézac Intro, 5 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues