"Wartburg near Eisenach Page" Wartburg by egonwegh
Wartburg Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 47 photos
April 2007 - Panorama of the Wartburg and detail of the entrance gate. The Wartburg, perched on a hill above the city of Eisenach, is the archetype of the German medieval castle. Several rooms inside the castle can be admired during a guided tour, e.g. the Sängersaal, the Friedenssaal, the Elisabeth Kemenate and the Lütherstube. In this last room Martin Lüther translated the New Testament from the Greek source text into German.
As a matter of fact, this was our second visit to the Wartburg, we'd been here before in 1997. The history of the castle goes back to before the year 1100, so in its long history our two journeys up the mountain can be seen as two visits with only very short intervals inbetween.
Legend would have it that the castle was founded by Landgraf Ludwig 'der Springer' who pronounced the famous words: "Wart Berg, du sollst mir eine Burg werden". Translated into 21st century rapper English that would be 'Hey mountain, just you wait and see, soon you'll be a castle to me'.
Wall painting at the Wartburg depicting count Ludwig 'der Springer' in the year 1067 as he pronounces the famous words... more travel advice
An antique copy of the New Testament in German, to be found in the Wartburg Museum. Presumably this book is an early... more travel advice
egonwegh's Related Pages
Wartburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wartburg near Eisenach Page"
- "Castle with a rich history"
- "The Gem of Thüringen"
- "My Wartburg"
- "Wartburg - Eisenach"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wartburg
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Wartburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wartburg
Photos in WartburgSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen Intro, 74 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 7 reviews, 39 photos, 8 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thiézac Intro, 5 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues