"Welcome to egonwegh's HomePage" egonwegh's Profile

Hi,

I'm Egon. I'm a librarian working for a university library in the Netherlands, and a freelance translator. As a translator I've been working for agencies in India, Estonia, Egypt, Russia, China .... and in our spare time I like travelling a lot!

Been to (2007):
Italy - Visited Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Elba, Pisa, and Lake Garda in May and June.

Berlin - we spent the Christmas holidays 2007 in Berlin. Check my Berlin page for our itinerary.

Been to (2008):
Norway - we went by boat (Kiel - Oslo) in June and took our car with us, visited a friend of ours who lives up north alongside a fjord and returned by car through Sweden, Denmark and Germany. A wonderful and very exciting trip!

France - walking in Auvergne in September.

Been to (2009):
Texel - one of the islands in the Dutch Waddenzee. Believe it or not, we had never been there! Well, we've put things right this year and stayed on the island for a couple of days in March 2009. We drove back home through Friesland and Overijssel and visited my in-laws. It was an excuse to take the A7 ("Afsluitdijk"!) from Wieringen to Kornwerderzand, that was another long-cherished wish.

The United States of America - visited Washington State, Oregon and California 27 August - 18 September 2009! I've started posting pictures (Seattle, Lassen NP, Salem, Alcatraz, Berkeley ...)

Been to (2010):
Southern France, we stayed on camp sites near St.-Tropez and Portiragnes-Plage. Made some 1,100 pictures (Carcassonne, Beziers, Canal du Midi, Glanum, St. Paul-du-Mausole, St. Pargoire, &c....)

London, rented very comfortable studio at Cartwright Gardens, close to St. Pancras Station. Visited British Library, British Museum, V & A Museum, Dickens House, Freud's House, Richmond, Hampstead, Greenwich &c

Been to (2011):

Hotel and camping in Mecklenburg and on Rügen, German Baltic Region, in June; made several hundreds of pictures in 2 weeks. Visited Neu-Brandenburg, Burg Stargard, Ankershagen, Greifswald, Bergen, Binz, Prora, Ummanz, Cap Arkona, Stubbenkammer &c

Wesenufer on the river Danube, Salzburg and Golling (Salzburgerland) in Austria, in August and September, (re-)visited Eschenau and Neukirchen am Walde; also Linz, Attersee, Werfen, Bischofshofen.

Been to (2012):

Slovenia and Croatia - May and June. Among other places visited Bled, Ljubljana, Porec, Vrsar, Rovinj, Briuni-Islands, Pula, Motovun, Hum ...

Been to (2013):
Spain (Andalusia), in March. We stayed in hotels in Ronda, Cordoba, Granada and Malaga, also saw Grazalema, Bailen, and Torremolinos. A first for J., for me a return to Spain after 22 years. Quite nice apart from the occasional torrential downpour, stolen wallet and many lost photos! Talk about an adventurous holiday ...

Ethiopia, in November. Our return to sub-Saharan Africa after 19 years. Memorable family visit and holiday in Addis, also went to Gonder, Bahir Dar, Lalibela and Debre Zeit.

Coming up (2014):
Hotel stay in Wijk aan Zee and Amsterdam in April, short visit to Austria, also to Dutch Wadden islands (Vlieland) towards the end of the year.

Portrait by Roy

My portrait as drawn by Roy, a couple of years ago.

South Park Self-portrait

My South Park self-portrait with grey hair, moustache and wearing my Superman outfit. This portrait was inspired by OlafS's page.

Second Life

My digital lookalike relaxing in a lounge somewhere in Second Life. I joined in December 2007, this snapshot was taken on my very first day there. The picture on the wall (left) I recognised as Leonardo's 'Vitruvian Man' - it reminded me of our visit to Vinci in 2007, the painting of Paris on the right is by Caillebotte - I had to search the internet for that piece of information.

News:
30 November 2006, 4,000 pageviews of this page. Thanks, everyone!
7 December 2006, incorporated a link to some additional film material - to be found on Google Video - on our St. Hilaire camp site page. Great live action it's not (it's just me sitting in front of our tent...)
21 March 2007: one of my pages finally made the grade (i.e. appears in the top 5), lo and behold, it's my Eastbourne page (ah, good old Eastbourne, I spent some time there as a foreign language student back in 2001 ...). Thanks, everyone!
11 April 2007: completed our Indonesia pages, added a total of 233 pictures.
17 October 2007: two more milestones: 5,000 pageviews of this page, and added our 2,000th picture: "Straelen market place and church"
18 September 2008: 6,000 pageviews of this page, and added our 2,200th picture: "Fredrikstad (Norway), Isegran Fort"
3 March 2010: 7,250 pageviews of this page (well, almost ...), and added our 2,500th picture: "Exterior of the Marin County Civic Center", San Rafael, California.
24 July, 2011, wrote my thousandth review, about our exploration of the jetty at St. Maxime (France).
11 October 2011, added our 2,800th picture: Slawendorf Passentin. And 19 October 2011, added our 2,900th picture: Bergen on Ruegen, church portal. And on 8 november 2011 our 3,000th picture: Salzburg Festungsbahn
April 2013: hit the mark of 250,000 pageviews overall.

• Intro Updated Mar 18, 2014

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Fijne Kerstdagen Egon! :-)

• egonwegh's Profile Photo
      Dec 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Ha Simone, prettige Kerst! Hopelijk ook veel reisplezier!

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:55 AM

Geseende Kersfees Egon, my old Dutch-Summatran friend has surfaced so my Dutch links are reinforced, In the new year i'll write about the influence of the Windmills in Ottawa ;-)))

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:55 AM

• egonwegh's Profile Photo
      Dec 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Happy Holidays to you too! I look forward to hearing about the windmills!

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Was your revised Frontpage a Birthday Gift to your VT Friends ;-))) most enjoyable !

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM

happy birthday egon,
    greetings from maryland

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag Egon! :-)

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

A warm happy birthday greeting from Malaysia. Wish you keep travellings and have more VT sharings in the coming years.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Egon, thank you so much, that is very nice of you to say that. fergy.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Didn't do the theatre fully, just saw it from beside. Had already seen stuff in Turkey, Sicily and elsewhere that was better so I have to admit to not being that interested. Cheers, ian

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
egonwegh's Profile Photo

egonwegh

“Oja, daar moet ik ook nog heen ...!”

Real Name