"Prekmurje - A Hidden Land over the Mura" Murska Sobota by oja

Murska Sobota Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 89 photos

I've always known the extreme Northeast of my country. This flat patch of Slovenia is where my mother came from and where my grandma lives (grandpa unfortunately died), so I always connected it with holidays in my head. Although a lot of time has passed since I stopped being a child, it will always have this special place in my heart.

The centre of the region is called Murska Sobota. It's a rather small and uninteresting town to look at (apart from some spots well worth an hour or two, such as the Museum of Prekmurje). What you should not miss is little Panonian villages neatly lined along the road (this is your typical Panonian landscape arrangement - traditional villages are quite long and rarely more than one house deep) where you can still catch some surviving traditions like pottery and straw product making. But the real treat begins when you leave the plain and venture uphill in the region called 'Goricko' (literally translated as 'the upper area') where romantic landscape with rolling hills covered with vineyards will fill your heart with joy.

One of the best-known sights in Goricko is the 13th century rotunda, a remarkably ancient building which seems to owe its survival to its off-the-beaten-path location (at the village called Selo). Walk inside and look at the frescoes, which are nearly as old as the building itself.

Then ring the wishing bell which looks indeed very primeval, but I dare say it's much newer since the wood it's made of would not be as well preserved as it is.

Prekmurje is also the region caught between three countries - Austria in the North, Hungary in the East, and Croatia in the South. Near the village called Tvrdkova there is a triple border of Slovenia, Austria and Hungary. This is the stone erected at the spot - what you see is the Hungarian side (best vantage point, sorry!:))

• Pros:pretty views from Goricko, village architecture, storks, preserved old traditions
  • Cons:bad economic situation unfortunately reflected in people
  • In a nutshell:a dreamers' land
  • Intro Written Sep 3, 2002

oja

“Bring me a shrubberry or I`ll say Ni!”

Badges & Stats in Murska Sobota

Have you been to Murska Sobota?

Photos in Murska Sobota