"The Country With the Warmest Anthem in the World" Slovenia by oja
Slovenia Travel Guide: 7,883 reviews and 20,070 photos
<font color=green><B><font size=+1>A few simple questions about Slovenia:</B>
<U>- Are there washing machines in Slovenia?</U>
- Yes. There are washing machines, fast cars, plastic surgeons, MacDonalds' and homeless people. Slovenia did her homework well during transition and has (pretty much) everything the West has.
<U>- Is Slovenian president recogniseable?</U>
- Not any more. At any presidential gathering, Mr Kucan was always the shortest of the lot. However, Mr Drnovsek who succeeded him, is not outstanding by any means!
<U>- There's a war in Slovenia, isn't there?</U>
- No, there isn't! What we saw of Balkan bloodshed was limited to 10 days after 25 June 1991. So we haven't seen war for ten years, and will hopefully never see it again. As far as this is concerned, Slovenia is completely safe. We are not affected by Macedonian crisis either, although it might look close on the map.
<U>- Will I get lost if I don't know a word of Slovenian?</U>
- No. If you're extremely unlucky and stumble upon a person without any knowledge of English (or German in the North/Italian in the West), you can always use the language of gesturing. However, although Slovenian is a deeply complicated language (it preserved the pre-historic dual number and operates with four declinations and six grammatic cases), basic phrases are simple: <I>prosim</I> for 'please' and <I>hvala</I> for 'thank you'. This <I>should</I> work.
<U>- Am I likely to meet anybody looking like a supermodel in Slovenia?</U>
- I think you are. Look at <a href="http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/content/Generic/77/373233-6-2-1.html">the latest Trump's girlfriend</a> - she's Slovenian!
<U>- Will I freeze if I visit Slovenia in winter?</U>
- If you dress for a 'standard' winter, you won't. Althought the lowest recorded temperature around here was -34 C, it usually doesn't get much below zero.
<U>- Are Slovenian boys rude?</U>
- I'd say not. Actually they'll probably feel flattered if chatted up by a foreign girl.
<U>- Does it cost a lot to go out in Slovenia?</U>
- Not that much by Western standards, but perhaps a bit expensive by Eastern ones. A beer will cost you about 400 SIT (2 Euro, as many USD) on average. Prices are a bit higher in Ljubljana, Bled and in beach towns than elsewhere.
<U>-Is there anything more to Slovenia than Bled and Postojna cave?</U>
- YES, and I'm going to show you just that! If you want to see these two places, you can look on any other Slovenia page here. If you want to see places off the beaten path and get some more suggestions on where to go and what to do, welcome on my page!
<font color=blueviolet><font size=+1>Some basic data on Slovenia
Date of birth: 25 June 1991 (about to start celebrating its eleventh birthday: I guess this will be her first MacDonald's with her friends alone. She's very excited, thinking hard what to wear!)
Date of conception: some 1000 years before (see, it really took so long!)
Size: about 20.000 square km
Number of children: about two million (so each of us has enough room)
Marital status: divorced from Yugoslavia, engaged to the EU (who's somehow suspicious about her background, but will hopefully be convinced)
Loving neighbours: Italy, Austria, Hungary, Croatia
If you want to sleep like a king at no matter what cost, this is what you're looking for. Slovenia has dozens of castles... more travel advice
Bohinj lake A bit more off the beaten path than the famous and heavily crowded Bled lake, but absolutely worth a visit.... more travel advice
- See All Since typical Slovenian foods...
is the most...
- See All Petrol prices as of 30 April 2003
- See All Beer! Beer!
- See All Some basic Slovenian...
Written Sep 10, 2002
Written Sep 3, 2002
The Birth of a Football Nation
oja's Related Pages
Slovenia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Sunny Side of The Alps"
- "Slovenija, lepa dezela (beautiful country)"
- "Small country of numerous wonders"
- "The Julian Alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovenia
- Hotels in Slovenia
- Transportation in Slovenia
- Nightlife in Slovenia
- Restaurants in Slovenia
- Shopping in Slovenia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovenia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Slovenia
- 127 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Slovenia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovenia
- Posted in Travel Ljubljana Forum "Re: Re: Anybody stayed in Hostel..."
- Wrote a Review A touch of class in Slovenia Hotels
- updated a Slovenia Travel Page "The Country With the Warmest Anthem in the World"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Country With the Warmest Anthem in the World"
- Commented on one of alenkap's Slovenia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 46 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 26 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 23 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 22 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 16 reviews, 11 photos
- Padova Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Piran Intro, 15 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 8 photos
- Celje Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Trieste Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
Top Slovenia hotels
- Ljubljana Hotels
- 1958 Reviews - 4376 Photos
- Bled Hotels
- 766 Reviews - 1778 Photos
- Piran Hotels
- 510 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Kranjska Gora Hotels
- 146 Reviews - 370 Photos
- Maribor Hotels
- 365 Reviews - 905 Photos
- Koper Hotels
- 136 Reviews - 383 Photos
- Portoroz Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Ptuj Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Most na Soci Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Celje Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 380 Photos
- Strunjan Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Postojna Hotels
- 139 Reviews - 410 Photos
- Izola Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Catez ob Savi Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Bovec Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 232 Photos