"The World According to Oja" oja's Profile
First of all.... thank you! I was quite shocked as I logged on today to find I'm the talk of the global town. Oh well, I let Utttz spill the beans, but never expected to become a cover girl ;))). So thank you all for your words of congratulations and support. I'll do my best to represent my tiny country in Mantova, and invite you all to pop by, not because of me but because of the lovely world of literature opening there. Of course, if I get to meet some of you that'll be just great!!!
<body bgcolor="Lightcyan"><B>Now back to the world as you know it... my favourite image taken from the CD 'One World' by Putumayo. My dream is still to see these faces live... Till then, let me take you to the pages I'm proudest of:</B>
<center><font size=+1><font color=slateblue><B><a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1052/?s=T">Berlin<a>
<a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1545/?s=g&">London<a></center><font size=2>
As you might have noticed, I'm not around as much as I used to be. Yesterday - on 23th April - I finally managed to log on after almost three months. To find many lovely, encouraging, funny and heart-warming comments on my neglected pages (thank you!), heaps of ratings (thank you very much for generosity - many tips are unfortunately outdated by now!), greetings (cheers all!) and questions (many of which couldn't be answered on time - SORRY!). Yes, having a baby is mostly fun, surprisingly uncomplicated compared to expectations, but time-consuming too... Well, let's hope I can believe MYSELF when I say I'll try to be around and helpful more often. Building and updating VT pages has always been a great joy, and I was always flattered to be considered helpful by others. So dammit - I will carry on, sooner or later, more or less frequently! This much I promise!
The good old FAQs:
What's your best venue to watch <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/919/?s=l">silly walking?</a>
Where is my <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1241/?s=K">favourite hostel?</a>
Which Croatian city has <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/959/?s=X">best looking boys?</a>
Where is <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1213/?s=L">the smallest brothel in the world?</a>
Where can you <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/939/?s=i">get fat </a>most quickly?
Is there a nightlife spot consisting of <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1052/?s=T">three walls and a roof?<a>
Which city serves <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1400/?s=B">the weirdest drinks?</a>
Which nation is a <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1562/?s=V">synonym of lazyness?</a>
<a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1196/?s=j">How could Pavarotti get so fat?</a>
<a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137577/1184/?s=j">Where</a> does every Italian road lead to?
All this and more - exclusively on Oja's pages!
<font color=blueviolet>Some FAQs about the author, i.e. me:
<B>What kind of traveller am I?</B>
Definitely a backpacker. Give me a train ticket and a hostel map and I'll say, Thanks, that's great. If I flew somewhere and then got transferred straight to the pre-paid hotel, I'd feel that a part of the fun is missing.
<B>If you see someone looking like me stepping out of a higher class hotel with a suitcase in her hand, will you be terribly wrong if you go, Hey Oja, how's things?</B>
No, that's probably me, but on a business trip.
<B>Where did I get that funny name?</B>
It's my actual nickname. One evening some six years ago I was sitting in my favourite club when this guy came up and said, Hi, I've seen you around, what's your name? When I told him, he said, No way, three syllables is much too long. So he came up with Oja, and I've been Oja ever since. (BTW, the word has many meanings in different languages - <I>ditch</I> in Finnish, <I>brook</I> in Lithuanian and Estonian, <I>to complain</I> in Swedish (verb, yes!), <I>milk tea</I> in Ladakhi, a dialect of Tibetan, <I>o ja</I> in German and dutch, and <I>orange juice</I> in Aussie-ish. If you know any other, please tell me! <B>And of course, a big thanks to all who did so far!</B>)
<B>In what languages am I able to reply to your messages?</B>
Besides my mother tongue and English, I am fluent in Croatian (Serbian, Bosnian), and literate in French and German. You can also try and contact me in Italian and Macedonian, but I won't reply in these languages (unless you want a good laugh!).
<B>What are my top 5 places?</B>
No clue. All are great!
<B>What do I look for in a page?</B>
Most of all, the author! Yourself! I'm more a text type than a photo type, so a page consisting solely of photos with captions is likely to leave me cold. I'll appreciate useful info, but what will truly melt me are stories of 'how that funny Italian lady pretended she was our grandma just to get us a bargain rent for the neighbouring villa' or 'I nearly died with shock when that German toilet stall started <I>talking</I>'. And if you think closely, you'll find that dozens of such intriguing things actually happened on your trips! So why not share them?
<B>Which part of Europe is the best?</B>
South and East.
<font size=+1><font color=teal><B>Some things that just have to be said:
1. My pages are made completely by myself unless stated differently (I've got some borrowed photos because I'm not such a great photographer).
2. I am strictly against copying any existing pages. If you have to copy, please give due credits. But my hearty advice is not to copy at all. There's really no need for that.
3. My credo: to provide information which cannot be found in guidebooks. Therefore no hard data on country size, population and similar, but solely personal experience.
4. Before putting you on my friends list I'll get to know you a bit better and exchange at least a few mails/notices/chat sentences with you. I'll appreciate it if you do the same.
5. I've got a strict anti-spamming policy. No postcards or invitations to pages please, unless I ask you to. It often happens that I rate someone's page and find my mailbox full of postcards from this person at the next moment. This is very likely to be counter-effective. Please let me have the pleasure of discovering pages myself.
Personal Pages (2)
Written Sep 12, 2002
So now. Time to move on.
Written May 15, 2003
Let me introduce somebody
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Castellón de la Plana
- Kemasik Hotels
- San José del Cabo
- Clarksville Hotels
- Key Largo
- Barbados Hotels
- Cedar Creek Battlefield Hotels
- La Línea de la Concepción
- Quy Nhon
- Hat Yai
- Assateague Island Hotels
- Tannehill State Park
- Sippenaeken Hotels
- Surat Thani
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 422 Reviews
- 275 Photos
- 13 Countries
- 29 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- oja and bean are now friends.
- Commented on Waller's profile page
- Posted in Travel Ljubljana Forum "Re: Re: Anybody stayed in Hostel..."
- updated a Ljubljana Travel Page "My City. So Simple."
updated their Profile Page "The World According to Oja"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Let me introduce somebody"
- Wrote a Review A touch of class in Slovenia Hotels
Top 10 Pages
- Slovenia Intro, 46 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 26 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 23 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 22 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 16 reviews, 11 photos
- Padova Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos
- Piran Intro, 15 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 8 photos
- Celje Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Trieste Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22198 Reviews - 54001 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23037 Reviews - 47268 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7700 Reviews - 19770 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos