Nara Things to Do Tips by shrimp56
Nara Things to Do: 157 reviews and 369 photos
The pillars inside the hall are so big that they had to be made from several trees. The Great Buddha Hall is still the largest wooden structure in the world, even though it is only 2/3 its former size!!
The website listed below includes the dates of the various festivals held here.
The Great Buddha was completed in 749AD. After many reconstructions due to fires very little of the original remains.
Address: inside The Great BuddhaHall
Todai-ji temple gate
The Great Hall of the Buddha is part of the Todai-ji temple complex in Nara. The site was begun in the early 700s to show off Japanese culture. Unfortunately the expenses broke the bank!
This is part of one of the Shinto shrines in Nara. One of the things that becomes obvious in Japan, as elsewhere in Asia, is the way that local and imported religions blend together to form a unique set of practices.
The Great Buddha Hall
The Great Buddha Hall was originally built in 749 after the Great Buddha stautue was cast in bronze. The hall was originally larger, but various reconstructions after 1180 have brought the Hall to its present smaller size.
More Reviews (2)
shrimp56's Related Pages
Nara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of Japan's ancient capitals"
- "Rich Culture in the Countryside"
- "Nara - A historical City."
- "Deer Nara"
- "Nara - Ancient Japanese City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nara
- Hotels in Nara
- Transportation in Nara
- Restaurants in Nara
- Shopping in Nara
- Warnings and Dangers in Nara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nara
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Nara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nara
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 381 reviews, 744 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 190 reviews, 299 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 104 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 69 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 62 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos