Minneapolis Things to Do Tips by shrimp56 Top 5 Page for this destination
Minneapolis Things to Do: 278 reviews and 488 photos
The museum at the University of Minnesota was designed by Frank Gehry. He also designed the music museum in Seattle [?] and the Guggenheim in Bilbao, Spain. Please see the travelogue for more pictures.
Address: 333 East River Road
Phone: (612) 625-9494
Loring Greenway in 2 seasons
This is one of the greenways in the city. The Loring Greenway begins at the Nicollet Mall near the Hyatt Regency Hotel on the Nicolett Mall and extends to Grant St. It includes with trees, seats, tables, fountains and covered areas and is lined with apartment towers and townhomes.
Address: begings at 1300 Nicolett Mall
A utilty cover with corn-reflecting local farming
Even among the shiny new skyscrapers you will find details of the elegance of former eras. These pictures were all taken on Nicollett Mall in downtown Misseapolis.
Address: Nicollett Mall
The Wlker Art Center has had a varied history, but since I knew it in the 1960s it has been a place for the latest art movements to find a place to be displayed. Now the new addition to the modernist brick building has been finished and just opened.
You may not like the art, but the building is worth the visit. Please see the travelogue on this page for more pictures of the new addition.
Address: Located on Vineland Place
Directions: At the junction of Hennepin, Lyndale, and Oak Grove
On the right is the Renaissance building, nicely renovated -- on the left one of the new shiny towers and have changed the downtown landscape in the past 30 years.
Address: Nicollet Mall
The IDS Tower surpassed the Foshay Tower in 1971 -- and, counting its antennae, it is the tallest thing in Minnesota!
The collage is two views of the beautiful Crystal Court.
Address: 80 8th Street South
Foshay Tower  is a Minneapolis landmark -- even as taller, larger buildings have dwarfed it since the IDS and its Crystal Court were built in1971. It was designed after the Washington Monument in Washington, DC.
The Foshay Tower has the city's only observation deck, since the IDS closed a while back.
Address: 821 Marquette Avenue
Minneapolis has several miles of skyways and tunnels to help the natives avoid the winter cold. This photo-collage shows 2 -- one with a bird-sculpture-fountain and the other showing some flowers for sale in the Nicollet Farmers' Market -- most of the skyways are on or near the Nicollet Mall.
There are a number of quotations set in irregular asphalt shapes in the sidewalk near the Loring Greenway and the Hyatt Regency Hotel. I *think* this one refers to the integration of the Ladies Garment Workers Union -- but after about an hour on the web I can't find any information. I'd be happy to accept help here:)
Between the indoor sculpture at the Gaviidae Common [see shopping] and these birds on the mall itself you have to wonder....
More Reviews (56)
- See All Windows on Minnesota
- See All Wolfgang Puck at the Walker
- See All Elegance over the Crystal Court
- See All Drive through banking -- Minnesota...
- See All Music on the Mall
shrimp56's Related Pages
Minneapolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Waters"
- "A Terrific Town!"
- "Not Always The Great White North"
- "On Target in Minneapolis, Minnesota"
- "Minneapolis - City of Water"
- "Minneapolis, Minnesota"
- "The City of Lakes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minneapolis
- Hotels in Minneapolis
- Transportation in Minneapolis
- Nightlife in Minneapolis
- Restaurants in Minneapolis
- Shopping in Minneapolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Minneapolis
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tennant Creek Hotels
- Crab Island Hotels
- Province of Camarines Sur Hotels
- San Clemente State Beach Hotels
- Moravske Kninice
Badges & Stats in Minneapolis
- 69 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Minneapolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minneapolis
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 380 reviews, 740 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 189 reviews, 295 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 104 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 69 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 62 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (64)
Latest Minneapolis hotel reviews
- Comfort Suites Downtown Minneapolis
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Radisson University Hotel
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- The Marquette
- 637 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Minneapolis
- 330 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hilton Minneapolis
- 692 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Graves 601 Hotel
- 503 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Grand Hotel Minneapolis
- 390 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Ramada Plaza Minneapolis
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Radisson Plaza Hotel Minneapolis
- 338 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- aloft Minneapolis
- 235 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Golden Valley
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Comfort Inn Airport
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Sofitel Minneapolis
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Days Inn - Minneapolis (University)
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Hotel Ivy
- 239 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Mall of America- 30 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Downtown- 33 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Nicollet Mall- 13 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Seasonal Events- 11 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Minnehaha Creek / Falls- 11 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Walker Art Center / Sculpture Garden- 18 Reviews, 24 Photos
- ST.PAUL- 20 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Other Art / Architecture / Musuems- 19 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Mills / Mill Ruins Park- 8 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Minnesota Zoo- 6 Reviews, 9 Photos
See All Minneapolis Things to Do