"It's all about Frank ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park by shrimp56

Oak Park Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 148 photos

Well that's not quite fair!
There IS a lot more to the Chicago suburb than its legacy as the home and workplace of the famed American architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. [1867-1959] During the 20 years he lived and worked in Oak Park he developed what is called the "Prairie School" of architecture.
My niece, who is an architect, came to visit, so we took her to see the home & studio. Pictures are not allowed inside and, for reasons of landscaping it is hard to get a full idea of the whole home/studio complex.

Here's a front view of the house and the curved front porch. The brick that was used in called "Chicago brick", but is noted as a brick that does not respond well to temperature and weather variables.

• Last visit to Oak Park: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2004

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2005 at 8:05 AM

A lovely part of Chicago I remember fondly! great page!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2004 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for illuminating the FLW tour in Oak Park for those of us not familiar. A true 'must see' when in the Windy City.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2004 at 8:38 AM

O I see you have new pages again. You Sally never will get tired of writing, which is good for all of us.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2004 at 11:44 AM

Thanks you, Sally, for opening my eyes on that special place... You have very nice pages!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 3:46 PM

I didn't know that place - thank you very much for sharing, I would love to visit it although this ban on photography haha, how to omit it? :-)))

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Oak Park

Have you been to Oak Park?

Latest Activity in Oak Park