"Not your normal tourist spot ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Pristina by shrimp56
Pristina Travel Guide: 284 reviews and 459 photos
I found myself there in summer 2003 as my husband was teaching in the Pristina University summer school -- his topic? Multi-cultural Ethics. Evidence of the UNMIK attempts to bring Serb and Albanian together are evident -- such as this sign, which says in both languages: "I am Kosovo".
UPDATE: Since the events of the last few months the pretense of a multi-ethnic Kosovo has been severely damaged. Last summer you saw these signs everywhere. This summer -- nowhere.
The Grand Hotel has been a beehive of activity since the NATO takeover in 1999. Journalists, entrepeneurs ... everyone has has passed through it's public and private rooms.
Today it looks like a Grade B hotel that needs a little [a LOT] of updating.
UPDATE: PLease see the hotel tip for my husband's recent review!
This is not an easy question for many residents in Pristina. Many have had 3 addresses without moving once. First under Tito the streets names were a judicious balance of Albanian & Serb authors & heroes. Then under Milosevec streets were renamed to Serb saints and heroes. Post-1999 many streets have been renamed after those leading the rebellion against Serbia. One street does have a familiar name though -- Bill Clinton St., which leads from the airport to the center of town!
Please click on the picture for more detail. A few landmarks: #184/Grand Hotel; #189/ Archeological Museum; #196/ National Theater.
Kosovo is not a stable area -- and some places are, of course, less stable than others. Even in Pristina you need to use... more travel advice
Many of the buildings that have replaced those destroyed in 1999 have a creative flair. These two are along the main... more travel advice
shrimp56's Related Pages
Pristina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not your normal tourist spot ..."
- "Prishtina 2008"
- "It's No Las Vegas"
- "My Dear Pristine Town - Prishtina"
- "Another sort of tourism"
- "Pristina - The Little Big City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pristina
- Hotels in Pristina
- Transportation in Pristina
- Nightlife in Pristina
- Restaurants in Pristina
- Shopping in Pristina
- Warnings and Dangers in Pristina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pristina
- 34 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Pristina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pristina
Photos in PristinaSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 380 reviews, 740 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 189 reviews, 295 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 104 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 69 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 62 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos