"Not your normal tourist spot ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Pristina by shrimp56

Pristina Travel Guide: 284 reviews and 459 photos

I found myself there in summer 2003 as my husband was teaching in the Pristina University summer school -- his topic? Multi-cultural Ethics. Evidence of the UNMIK attempts to bring Serb and Albanian together are evident -- such as this sign, which says in both languages: "I am Kosovo".

UPDATE: Since the events of the last few months the pretense of a multi-ethnic Kosovo has been severely damaged. Last summer you saw these signs everywhere. This summer -- nowhere.

There's a Grand Hotel ...

The Grand Hotel has been a beehive of activity since the NATO takeover in 1999. Journalists, entrepeneurs ... everyone has has passed through it's public and private rooms.
Today it looks like a Grade B hotel that needs a little [a LOT] of updating.
UPDATE: PLease see the hotel tip for my husband's recent review!

Where do you live?

This is not an easy question for many residents in Pristina. Many have had 3 addresses without moving once. First under Tito the streets names were a judicious balance of Albanian & Serb authors & heroes. Then under Milosevec streets were renamed to Serb saints and heroes. Post-1999 many streets have been renamed after those leading the rebellion against Serbia. One street does have a familiar name though -- Bill Clinton St., which leads from the airport to the center of town!
Please click on the picture for more detail. A few landmarks: #184/Grand Hotel; #189/ Archeological Museum; #196/ National Theater.

• Last visit to Pristina: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 22, 2004

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 6:17 AM

noting your Hotel addition, reminds me of South Africa ;-|||

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 2:39 PM

Very interesting page with brilliant photos ...This area is on my travel list for future trips ...keep up the good work ... :-)

• lw9423's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2006 at 7:40 AM

Quite possibly the most complete and best reviews I've seen on Pristina!! shume mire :D will help me very much in my travels there

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 3:17 PM

always 100% helpfull..thanks another time ..!! never enough thanks by the way

• glenn57's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2005 at 7:30 PM

Great pages about a place few have visited ! Very informative.

• May 26, 2005 at 1:29 AM

I can say your Pristina page is quite helpful for somebody who's trying to find his way around.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 5:10 AM

Excellent page and info Sally! But heart breaking to read at times. Sending you *hugs*

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2004 at 1:07 PM

Superb page, very informative. I drove across Pristina in 1975 on my way from Greece to home but unfortunately did not visit (too many kilometers to drive and little time). I should have! Too bad, that would have been interesting to compare with today!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 7:07 AM

You've got a wonderful page here Sally! We'll have to hope that there won't be a 4th address for the locals!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2004 at 3:34 PM

an interesting page and great pics, Sally ! It's funny to see a B.Clinton street there. I wonder wether this was a decicion made by the locals ...

shrimp56

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Pristina

Have you been to Pristina?

Latest Activity in Pristina