"Bitola, Moj Roden Kraj ..." Bitola by shrimp56

Bitola Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 1,048 photos

Now that I have visted Bitola I can understand why people love it so much. The second largest city in Macedonia [after Skopje] is architecturally and historically interesting, with great cafés.
The page title is the title of a wonderful Macedonian song -- sort of the equivalent of "I left my heart in San Francisco" -- now I understand why many people have left theirs in Bitola!

Heraclea

Another set of Roman ruins is just outside Bitola and well worth your time. This is the small basilica from the 4-6th centuries A.D.

• Pros:Great walking street and cafes
  • Cons:None that I could see
  • In a nutshell:Well worth the visit
  • Last visit to Bitola: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2003

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Nice Tips!

• mile01's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2010 at 7:12 AM

Many fond memories as i visited for numerous weeks in mid 1960s & late 1970s. Its my home town -leaves many deep & lasting feelings in our souls Thank u Sally. Pozdrav do site Bitolcanii :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Hi, Sally, thanks for the virtual trip to that wonderful city...

• Mar 1, 2006 at 6:24 AM

Interesting and useful - a good eye for beautiful, sometimes not so obvious, places...

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2004 at 11:59 AM

a must stop on the way to greece...but also heraclea,of course....and the secret prespa lakes!tks for sunny memories!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2003 at 7:01 AM

Great page Sally! The Roman city of Heraclea Lyncaestis looks wonderful!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2003 at 12:30 PM

I've visited Bitola many year ago. Your page brings back nice memories

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2003 at 9:10 AM

A bit of sun and a friendly cafe in an old, old town sounds like just the right prescription for what ails me.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2003 at 6:34 PM

Haha, I was there looong time ago and for some reasons it's a place never to foget for me! But I didn't visit it - good reason to come back! Very interesting info and link on Heraclea Lyncaestis!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2003 at 6:54 AM

What an interesting place, Sally ! These mosaiques look really great and were made such a long time ago without modern techniques and simply look perfect !

shrimp56

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Bitola