"Bitola, Moj Roden Kraj ..." Bitola by shrimp56

Bitola Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 1,051 photos

Now that I have visted Bitola I can understand why people love it so much. The second largest city in Macedonia [after Skopje] is architecturally and historically interesting, with great cafés.
The page title is the title of a wonderful Macedonian song -- sort of the equivalent of "I left my heart in San Francisco" -- now I understand why many people have left theirs in Bitola!

Another set of Roman ruins is just outside Bitola and well worth your time. This is the small basilica from the 4-6th centuries A.D.

• Pros:Great walking street and cafes
  • Cons:None that I could see
  • In a nutshell:Well worth the visit
  • Last visit to Bitola: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2003

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Nice Tips!

• mile01's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2010 at 7:12 AM

Many fond memories as i visited for numerous weeks in mid 1960s & late 1970s. Its my home town -leaves many deep & lasting feelings in our souls Thank u Sally. Pozdrav do site Bitolcanii :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Hi, Sally, thanks for the virtual trip to that wonderful city...

• Mar 1, 2006 at 6:24 AM

Interesting and useful - a good eye for beautiful, sometimes not so obvious, places...

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2004 at 11:59 AM

a must stop on the way to greece...but also heraclea,of course....and the secret prespa lakes!tks for sunny memories!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2003 at 7:01 AM

Great page Sally! The Roman city of Heraclea Lyncaestis looks wonderful!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2003 at 12:30 PM

I've visited Bitola many year ago. Your page brings back nice memories

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2003 at 9:10 AM

A bit of sun and a friendly cafe in an old, old town sounds like just the right prescription for what ails me.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2003 at 6:34 PM

Haha, I was there looong time ago and for some reasons it's a place never to foget for me! But I didn't visit it - good reason to come back! Very interesting info and link on Heraclea Lyncaestis!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2003 at 6:54 AM

What an interesting place, Sally ! These mosaiques look really great and were made such a long time ago without modern techniques and simply look perfect !

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Bitola