Ohrid Off The Beaten Path Tips by shrimp56 Top 5 Page for this destination
Ohrid Off The Beaten Path: 68 reviews and 187 photos
The website provides an interesting article on the large mosaic that was discovered on the site. There are two main locations where you can see the mosaics currently. Under the wooden roofed walkway are the ones already excavated. Nearer the church itself under a tent are the ones till being worked on.
I just want to remind us to grab the details -- such as the patriotic air freshener in the car and the hydrangea against the stone wall! These "moments" provide the contrasts and textures of a place.
At the point where the carsija becomes the bit pazaar there has always been this old, split plane tree. Now they have protected it from collapse with this sculptural covering. The plaque explains the tree's history.
Ohrid is following Skopje's lead and restoring an old Ottoman bath -- I have no idea what will occupy the structure once it is renovated -- perhaps an art gallery?
The renovations of this foundational [since the 4th century] church for the Macedonian Orthodox Church were still underway when these pictures were taken. Since then a lot more work has been completed, although new discoveries are still being made on the site.
This old Ohrid site has recently undergone renovations and reconstruction of the old church. It wasbthe home of the beginnings of the Macedonian Orthodox Church.
The monastery at Sveti Naum was more substantial than many. It was begun by Naum Ohridski in 910. He came to the region after 7 years of teaching throughout Macedonia. He is buried there.
A view from Sveti Naum towards Albania -- the white building is a border post! Macedonia shares Lake Ohrid with Albania. This causes problems with overfishing and pollution ...
view from Sveti Naum
Again the Macedonian monks have chosen another beautiful location for one of their churches. This one is from the 17th century.
To get there take the road south from Ohrid about 30km (20mi) -- there is bus service.
Please visit my Sv. Naum travelogue for July 2003 pictures.
More Reviews (53)
- See All Worth a second visit!
- See All The perfect souvenir
- See All Finding Nemo
- See All Around the lake by boat
- See All Terrace and a Frige!
shrimp56's Related Pages
Ohrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ohrid - City of centuries"
- "Ohridskoto Ezero"
- "OHRID - MACEDONIA'S RIVIERA"
- "Ohrid – Treasury of Religious Art"
- "Sveti Jovan Kaneo - "Before the Rain""
- "SECOND OFFICIAL VT DINNER IN OHRID"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohrid
- Hotels in Ohrid
- Transportation in Ohrid
- Nightlife in Ohrid
- Restaurants in Ohrid
- Shopping in Ohrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohrid
- See All...
Explore the World
- Orinoco Hotels
- Travers Island Hotels
- Hickory Hotels
- Departamento de Atlántida Hotels
- Bad Segeberg
- Scott City
- Statues / Murals / Memorials
- Water Ways
- Santa Ana Off The Beaten Path
- Lima Off The Beaten Path
- Wroclaw Off The Beaten Path
- Hampshire Off The Beaten Path
- Hoek van Holland Off The Beaten Path
- Assisi Off The Beaten Path
- Kaneohe Off The Beaten Path
- Lebanon Off The Beaten Path
- Thessaloniki Off The Beaten Path
- Penang Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Ohrid
- 63 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Ohrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohrid
- Posted in Travel Avignon Forum "Re: Arriving Provence Late..."
- Commented on one of mirjana51's Ohrid travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Jacob's ladder -- fresco"
- Wrote a Review Worth a second visit! about Millenium Restaurant in Ohrid Restaurants
- updated a Ohrid Travelogue "Sveti Naum / Sveti Sophia"
Photos in OhridSee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 380 reviews, 740 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 189 reviews, 295 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 104 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 69 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 62 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos
Latest Ohrid hotel reviews
- Ljubanista Car Camp
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2008
- Elesec Car Camp
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Millenium Palace
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- Hotel Lagadin
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 23, 2013
- Villa Dea
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2013
- Anastasia Homestay
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2011
- Hotel Bellevue
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Apartments Kosta
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 10, 2013
- Villa Mal Sveti Kliment
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Antonio Guesthouse
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 15, 2013
- Hotel Riviera
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 22, 2011
- Hotel Metropol
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- DEFUNCT - Palace Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Sileks
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 8, 2013
- Grebnos Stone-house Apartments
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- other churches & monasteries- 56 Reviews, 173 Photos
- st. sophia- 24 Reviews, 66 Photos
- samuil fortress- 29 Reviews, 81 Photos
- on the lake...- 23 Reviews, 59 Photos
- st. jovan kaneo- 19 Reviews, 51 Photos
- old town & architecture- 28 Reviews, 60 Photos
- amphitheater- 19 Reviews, 42 Photos
- plaoshnik- 14 Reviews, 40 Photos
- st. naum- 16 Reviews, 41 Photos
- st. climent- 13 Reviews, 35 Photos
See All Ohrid Things to Do