"Skopje -- najgolem grad vo Makedonija!" Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje by shrimp56

Skopje Travel Guide: 809 reviews and 2,024 photos

First stop -- Pantelejmon Monastery Church

Almost always the first stop in Skopje, either straight from the airport or after lunch. It's a touchstone for me.
-------
But there is more to Skopje than being the capital city of the Republic of Macedonia. Skopje bridges many cultures and many worlds -- from the minarets of the mosques to the domes of the monastery churches.
The food [ah yes the FOOD] reflects the passage of many peoples through the region. From burek, to ajvar with stops at kisela zelka and tavce gravce -- well it's slow food and slow eating! Then there are the tomatoes and ..yup.. rakija -- but I love most the red wine called t'ga za jug.

Skopje: A City for All Seasons

Today [11 July 2004] I met mirjana51 for coffee. We had a lovely time together -- picture next week :)
-------------------------
I have just learned that Mirjana is now with the angels. I have enjoyed her company so much on my Skopje visits.

• Pros:The people, the history, the food, the drink, the scenery ...
  • Cons:The economy, the ethnic conflicts ... the new statues everywhere...
  • In a nutshell:GO -- it is a beautiful city with a heart:)
  • Last visit to Skopje: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 13, 2013

• JuliaMac's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Thank you for this page!!! The best!

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 6:18 AM

Hello Sally, Nice pages. Thank you very much and happy new year to you. Tomas Eriksson :)

• nuritza's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Thank you very much for your dedication on writing and describing all your experiences in Skopje. Very usuful.

• septem's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Great pages, great tips and great photos. Juliana

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Hi Sally, it is so intersting to see Macedonia, with the eyes of foreigners. We usualy oversee little things. Many of your tips made me smile. Thanks for the tips! Valentina

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 5:37 AM

Hi, Sally! It must be a nice city to visit! So much to see there!...I'd love to go there some day!

• ketch1973's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2007 at 2:44 AM

an excellent page on skopje. i will be visiting in september 2008 and i am now very excited about my visit! mike.

• elae's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Tamo gdje vjeèno sunce sja, tamo je Makedonija , narod i zemlja koju volim ja..

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 8:23 AM

Sally, that's so sad about Mother Teresa's house plaque. Breaking chains - some people have no respect - thanks for the interesting tip, chica! :)

• jrgentle's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2006 at 6:18 AM

Hello my Lovely Friend. Guess where I am going?? Yes, I will be in Macedonia for the first week in July as an Election Observer. I can't wait!!

shrimp56 Visits Here Frequently!

shrimp56

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Skopje