"There are Two Vinicas" Vinica by shrimp56
Vinica Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 49 photos
One is the modern city, the other the historic Roman fortress or "kale", in Macedonian., famous for the terracottas that were discovered there.
I was fortunate enough to visit both on my recent trip to Macedonia. Our guide was a local banker who is a friend of our Macedonian "family."
The Romans came through in the 5th-6th centuries and left a wonderful fortress/city on a hill overlooking the modern town. While it is best known as the place where the wonderful terracotta icons were found, the site itself is well worth a visit.
The terracotta tiles are made from clay from the Vinica region so they are local. See the terracotta tip for more detail.
The trees are obviously younger than the wall. This photo again gives a sense of how beautiful the location is. The... more travel advice
shrimp56's Related Pages
Vinica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There are Two Vinicas"
- "VINICA a place where I always feel good"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vinica
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Vinica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vinica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 380 reviews, 740 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 189 reviews, 295 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 104 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 69 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 62 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos