Pecs Off The Beaten Path Tips by shrimp56
Pecs Off The Beaten Path: 30 reviews and 46 photos
Few people know about the sculpture garden near Villany. It was started under the communists as a place where artists could work on-site with the local stone. Unfortunately the market economy has dried up funding, but you can still visit the park for a very few forints and see the works that are still scattered on the grounds.
Just outside the center of town you will find this shopping center in a most modern design :) It is only one of several very interesting postmodern buildings that I saw there.
The courtyard inside the shopping center continues the postmodern theme with a sculpture consisting of a pile of rocks with classical column fragments emerging from the top!
The church at Mariagyud. This is a 'healing' church. The wall to the right of the altar are filled with little plaques made of hammered silver requesting healing or good fortune for the body part or profession representedon the plaque. Then there are also the small marble plaques giving thanks in Croatian or Hungarian. Pictures are not permitted inside.
Finally there is the small medieval castle on a hill overlooking the town of Siklos. The name of the town means slippery hill!
<p>All of these 'off the beaten paths' can be visited easily in one day and make a lovely day of it too! But you will need a car.
In my view the best wines in Hungary are the red wines from Villany, again south from Pecs. If you visit at the right time you can walk from wine cellar to wine cellar and sample [and buy!] the wine. The picture at the left is one of the cellars -- there is, literally a CELLAR underneath the little building!
Masses of sunflowers are visible in the fields near Pecs in the summer. This picture was taken on the way to Villany.
More Reviews (18)
shrimp56's Related Pages
Pecs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "city at foot of Mecsek hill and Baranya capital"
- "A true, historic, European city!"
- " Pécs, my beautiful home town "
- "The Turkish South"
- "Pécs European Capital of Culture 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pecs
- Hotels in Pecs
- Transportation in Pecs
- Nightlife in Pecs
- Restaurants in Pecs
- Shopping in Pecs
- Warnings and Dangers in Pecs
- See All...
Explore the World
- Khopoli Hotels
- Beverwijk Hotels
- Alta Loma Hotels
- Balamban Hotels
- Everglades City
- Austin Off The Beaten Path
- Venice Off The Beaten Path
- Places around Hyderabad
- Vienna Off The Beaten Path
- Iowa Off The Beaten Path
- Portugal Off The Beaten Path
- Missouri Off The Beaten Path
- Thailand Off The Beaten Path
- Dallas Off The Beaten Path
- Jaipur Off The Beaten Path
- Traditional Houses
- Beijing Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Pecs
- 25 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Pecs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pecs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 379 reviews, 738 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 189 reviews, 295 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 104 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 69 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 62 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos