"Past and Present: Anjou or Loire?" Top 5 Page for this destination Angers by shrimp56
Angers Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 283 photos
It is a quick trip to Angers on the TGV -- 1 1/2 hours to be exact -- but the trip takes you back into the historic region of Anjou, now a part of the Maine-et-Loire department in the Loire.
For a brief history of the region see this website:
The current fortress was built in the 1200s. It has 17 towers and is built in the shape of a pentagon -- reflecting the bedrock protrusion underneath. The only gate is across a, now grassy, moat towards the town. It's not the prettiest chateau in the Loire, but it IS imposing and very easy to reach by train.
This is a more classic French chateau about 15 kilometres from Angers, near the small town of Écuillé. Built in the 15th century, it is privately owned with the owners in residence. Hence tours are limited.
This page is currently under construction. Please come back soon for more detail about this tip on Angers. more travel advice
David d'Angers was best known for his 500 portrait medallions of everyone important from his era. He ran afoul of the... more travel advice
Written Nov 1, 2003
Written Nov 16, 2003
Château du Plessis-Bourré
shrimp56's Related Pages
Angers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angers, France"
- "Angers: one of the best towns to live in"
- "Past and Present: Anjou or Loire?"
- "A Good Place to Start Visiting Chateaux"
- "Chateau d'Anger and the Apocalypse Tapestry"
- "Angers, a wonderful French town"
- "Aussie in Angers for 6 months"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angers
- Hotels in Angers
- Transportation in Angers
- Nightlife in Angers
- Restaurants in Angers
- Shopping in Angers
- Warnings and Dangers in Angers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angers
- 27 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Angers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angers
- Posted in Travel Avignon Forum "Re: Arriving Provence Late..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Performances in a Historic Building"
- Wrote a Review More Chateau Plessis-Bourre in Angers Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of TimDaoust's Angers travel pages
- updated a Angers Travelogue "Château du Plessis-Bourré"
Photos in AngersSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 380 reviews, 740 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 189 reviews, 295 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 104 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 69 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 62 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos