"Our Lady of Chartres" Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres by shrimp56

Chartres Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 750 photos

The main rose window in Chartres is spectacular indeed!

Chartres Cathedral is, for my money, the most beautiful cathedral I have seen. What is so special is the famous blue of the stained glass -- when you enter on a sunny day it is almost overwhelming.
The cathedral is reached by driving through some beautiful farmland in the region known as Beauce, sometimes called France's "breadbasket." All of a sudden you see the cathedral in the distance perched on the only hill for miles around.

I MADE IT!!!!

Watch for my new pictures and tips -- we had a GORGEOUS day as you can see from this picture:)

• Last visit to Chartres: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2010

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 1:38 PM

You captured the wonderful architecture so well with the close up detail pics. The comments are also well presented.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Hello, Sally!The views are great, your description is amazing, thanks! It's a great piligrimage place!

• rundoyle4's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2006 at 1:55 PM

I loved it here. We sat in the sun and enjoyed the view, then went down a bit and played on the maze design in the grass.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2006 at 1:02 PM

Hi there Sally - yet another great tour - always enjoy your pages. Ciao, Carol

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2006 at 6:51 AM

your photography is stunning- did you walk the Labyrinth ;-)))

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 3:19 PM

Impressive cathedral, I have to visit someday. As for now I liked most those in Toledo, Vatican and Washington, DC.

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Beautiful Chartres...did you catch a Malcolm Moore tour?

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2005 at 5:10 AM

I can see why you spent so much time and commentary on the cathedral--it was stunning!!

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 8:32 AM

Both the town & the cathedral are one of my faves in France. Gteat tips & photo's! Happy travels, Blu

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 12:28 PM

Beautiful Sally! The Cathedral in Chartres, wow, I would love to see that one! Those windows look amazing! *Hugs*

shrimp56

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Chartres

Have you been to Chartres?