Paris Nightlife Tips by shrimp56 Top 5 Page for this destination
Paris Nightlife: 692 reviews and 758 photos
When I first started coming to Paris regularly this was a wine bar that I always wanted to get to, but never made it. Now it has been recreated as a jazz club. They still serve food, which gets so-so comments these days, but it's the music that matters now! Alas:( Entrance is 15 euro with a drink -- students are 2 euro less..
Dress Code: Casual, but arty. Black would be fine.
Address: 1 quai Bourbon
Directions: Just across the Pont Marie on the Ile.
Other Contact: Metro -- Pont Marie
Phone: 01 46 33 60 64
Theme: Live Music
The Opera Bastille was a very controversial project -- part of Mitterrand's legacy. It was meant to bring opera to the people. Designed by Canadian architect Carlos Ott, it opened on July 14th 1989. Many find its facade and interior ugly -- but in talking to a singer friend of ours who has performed there, it is a terrific building for the singers and staff as well as providing excellent sound and sightlines for the audience.
We attended a performance of Richard Strauss' "Adriane auf Naxos" and were delighted with the performance and puzzled by the surroundings!
Address: Place de la Bastille
Directions: When you "pop up" from the Bastille metro station it is a little hard to miss!
Other Contact: (1) 44 73 13 00 (Reservations)
Phone: (1) 44 73 13 99 (Information)
It's difficult to get a clear view of the old opera house -- from close up it is buried in the busyness of the area around it -- which includes the American Express Office, the terminus of the Roissybus from the airport and numerous cafes and hotels.
Address: Metro 3, 7, 8 : Opera
We learned the hard way that events advertised on metro posters are more than likely already sold out -- except, of course, long runs such as "How to Become a Jewish Mother in 10 Lessons" -- I wonder how that translated?
A good place to get tickets is at one of the many FNAC outlets.
According to Paris Bouge this is a very good spot for both dancing til you drop and those more intimate moments. Its plain facade hides a lovely club that has a high rating among nightcrawlers. Fortunately it can hold up to 720 of them at a time!
Dress Code: What is THIS moment -- not 10 seconds ago
Address: 8 bvd de la Madeleine
An amazing art nouveau facade and interior. Near Theatre King Edouard VIII, hidden in the middle of the same block. It was built in the 1880s and originally named The Eden Theater. It took the Athenée name in 1896. It also carries the name of Louis Jouvet who directed the theater from 1934 to 1951.
The least expensive way to see the theater is to take one of their tours for 15 € -- call 01 41 10 08 10 for reservations.
Address: 7 rue Boudreau
Phone: 01 53 05 19 19
Place Edouard VII is found at the heart of a block between Opera and Madeleine. You have to know where you are going to find it.
King Edward VII of England (1841-1910) was noted as a great francophile, hence the place and the name of the theater.
Address: 10, place Edouard VII
Phone: 01 47 42 59 92
Palais Garnier collage
With the opening of the Opera Bastille, the Palais Garnier became mostly a theater for dance. The Paris Opera Ballet performs here, as well as visiting dance companies. You can check the website below for information on tours. The Palais Garnier is most noted for the Chagall ceiling.
Please click on the picture to see the detail.
Dress Code: I've seen everything here, but try to be a *bit* chic -- make sure that t-shirt is black and without lettering :)
Address: Metro 3, 7, 8 : Opera
The Moulin Rogue
You'll have to ask someone else the details, but I thought I'd share some daytime photos of this landmark. The "ladies" are on the wall above the box office. "Moulin" is French for windmill, hence the one on the outside:)
More Reviews (372)
- See All Attractive and Well-run - *15
- See All Authentic Breton Galettes
- See All Sainte-Clotilde
- See All Art is Paris -- Paris is Art
- See All Musée Cernuschi: Asian Arts/City of...
shrimp56's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 381 Reviews
- 743 Photos
- 64 Forum posts
- 180 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
- Wrote a Review Attractive and Well-run - *15 in Paris Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Attractive and Well-run - *15"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: worried about (a) VT..."
- Commented on one of shrimp56's Paris tips
- updated a Paris Travel Page "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- Uploaded a Video to Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (743)
Videos in ParisSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paris Intro, 381 reviews, 744 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 190 reviews, 299 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 104 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 69 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 63 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 62 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 86 photos
- Eiffel Tower- 598 Reviews, 1,080 Photos
- Louvre- 794 Reviews, 1,583 Photos
- Notre Dame de Paris- 653 Reviews, 1,337 Photos
- Montmartre Area- 211 Reviews, 408 Photos
- Arc de Triomphe- 402 Reviews, 710 Photos
- Musee d'Orsay- 271 Reviews, 549 Photos
- Sainte-Chapelle- 146 Reviews, 358 Photos
- Place de la Concorde- 167 Reviews, 324 Photos
- Catacombs- 55 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Luxembourg Gardens - Jardin du Luxembourg- 97 Reviews, 232 Photos
See All Paris Things to Do