"London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation." Top 5 Page for this destination Paris by shrimp56

Paris Travel Guide: 22,791 reviews and 56,488 photos

I realize this has become what some call a "monster page" -- so here's a bit of a "users guide" to help you through!
1. Many tip titles are followed by a number indicating the arrondissement [or district] you will find them in. I continue to work on making sure these are grouped by arrondissement so you can see what sights are near what restaurants more easily.
2. In the "Things to do" section I am working on making sure all tips on a subject are next to each other -- this takes time to move them around so I ask your patience:)
3. In the "off the beaten path" section the tips may be identified by arrondissement -- but think of them as what the French call "une randonné", a ramble if you will, through the details of Paris. You may not see what I saw, but if you look carefully as you walk you will see even more wonderful things!

4. In the "local customs" section I am working on getting the basic ones to the top.
Mostly my advice would be to dip in here and there to join me on my randonné through my many trips to Paris. If there is something you would like clarified, please write me -- I'll do my best!

America is my country/Paris is my hometown-G.Stein

One of the most important openings of 2005 was of new Shoah Memorial/Center for Documentation in the Marais. See my Things to Do tips for more information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a number of fine Paris pages on VT and it is a great honor to be considered among the best. And I thank you for dropping by :) But don't miss the other great Paris pages out there, especially that of the master, GUYON.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And please feel free to email me with any questions you have on Paris -- I will be happy to answer :)

New & Upcoming tips

Cafe le Zimmer
Chateau Vincennes
and more ...
-----------------
Pictures have been added to a number of tips and, in the future I will be merging tips since we can have up to 5 pictures per tip.

• Pros:The architecture, art, food, wine, cheese and yes -- THE PEOPLE!!
  • Cons:There is pollution and noise -- it's a city
  • In a nutshell:Name the café and I'm there!
  • Last visit to Paris: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 25, 2013

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Some great hotel and shopping tips here Sally. I like how you give the bad side as well as the good.
    Thanks. Back soon only "Things to Do" to go.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Back as promised. this time to read your "Off the Beaten Path" tips. You seem to have been into every nook and cranny of Paris and have uncovered many little gems which not many would ever find. I love the shoes and the "Lost Luggage" statue outside Gare St Lazare. Well done. I will return.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Whew!! Finished! What a marathon effort on your part Sally. Some wonderful suggestions that I have not heard about before, along with some great memories of my times in Paris. Thank you.

• sweetgirl45's Profile Photo
      Aug 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I want to visit Paris but I need to find out what to do first. I'm scared and I don't want to travel by myself. What's the best tour guide? The best place to say?

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Hi Sally, This is a major work which will take me a number of sittings to complete reading. I have enjoyed your restaurant and nightlife reviews so far and and will certainly make a note of many of the restaurants for my upcoming stay in the 6eme Your page "c'est magnifique". I will return to read some more later. Thank you.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Hi Sally, I’ve just been reading your fine new tips and updates. I have copied two of them into my “Next time in Paris” file, namely Musée Cernuschi and Aristide Maillol.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Hi, Sally! It's great to read your Paris tips that make me want to travel there.. Thanks a lot!

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Goodfish will be taking Sally's tour of Paris this week. With 369 reviews and 693 (glorious!) photos, she's going to be a busy girl. :O) I know exactly what you mean about it taking time to place all those reviews on a subject/area are in order as I spent HOURS doing that with Rome. Kudos for making putting in the effort!

• Apr 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Dear Shrimp56, I have some clients with children that I am sending to London and Paris and thought I would ask if you have any recommendations geared to children. I have found the scavenger hunt in the Louve but want some other unique things. If you have any suggestions ..please let me know! Thanks, nmouser

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
      Apr 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I will respond by VT mail in a day or so. Time of year is important to know also.

• gwened's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM

ahh now I am getting all those Chicago folks liking Paris ::) I have a couple own a cafe in my neck of the woods in Brittany that are from Chicago lol!!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
      Feb 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Well we're a water city too:) I love "water cities", whether it's a river or a lake or a bay.

• gwened's Profile Photo
      Feb 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

gotcha you.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I see I have to look no further to find my cafes of choice in Paris; thanks for sharing, I'll be there tomorrow.......oh, and have a good birthday as well! Cheers, Ian

• HRGafford's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Sally,
    I'm not even going to pretend like I didn't cut and paste two posts and put them on your page and Beat Chick's page...because that's exactly what I did. Just so overwhelmed at the moment after planning the first 3 legs of the trip, so here we go:
    I LOVE YOUR PARIS PAGE! I've been looking at tips all day...and to be honest, my head is tired and I can't pull the trigger on a hotel. We are two newlyweds who had to postpone the honeymoon until the 1st anniversary. The trip ends in Paris for 4 nights, and we want a great, safe location, close to metro and great cafes, on a 75-100 euro/night budget. So here's the question...where would YOU stay???

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2012 at 8:47 AM

~ Hi, Sally! ><><>< What superb places to enjoy! Paris is on my mind too...!

shrimp56 Visits Here Frequently!

shrimp56

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Paris