"Ettlingen - Small Town, Awesome Locals" Ettlingen by aussirose

Ettlingen Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 418 photos

We arrived in Ettlingen late in the afternoon on the first day of our car trip from Zurich. This was to be our first sleep in Germany.

When planning our big Europe trip and the drive through Germany we knew we were going through the Black Forrest and we knew that we wanted to see Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber so of course we had to pick a place around Karlsruhe to stay the night.

I trawled through heaps of pages on Karlsruhe as there was a big Euro vt meet there a few years back. But I could not find anything that caught my eye in Karlsruhe. So I began to look at the off the beaten path tips. That is where I discovered Ettlingen. Hubby and I quite like the off the beaten path places.

Thanks to the wonderful pages of Kathrin_E and tini58de who live in the area and others that have been to Ettlingen for vt meets etc, I chose Ettlingen for our first night in Germany.

Well as I said, we arrived late afternoon and there happened to be a festival in town so things were full on! It was all happening! We had the fans waiting for us!! :o)

I rocked up to the hotel desk and the lady knew my name. How did she know it was me? I felt like a true celeb :o)

She even said, "Your fans are waiting for you....and proceed to point me in the opposite direction......and who should be there waiting for us but Kathrin and Christiine.....sitting patiently on the nice lounge. :o) I was really excited to finally meet Kathrin whom I have known on vt for quite some years and my new friend Christine whom I discovered whilst trawling through everyone's pages. More about our meet in the travelogues below.

• Pros:Quaint town, not too touristy, fabulous locals
  • Cons:Not much choice of accommodation
  • In a nutshell:Cute place. Definately worth a visit.
  • Last visit to Ettlingen: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2012

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I really like Ettlingen and have been here several times with Tini :-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

What a great hotel you found there !

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Lovely page Ann WOW the size of these German Beer glasses can you believe it Germany is very nice

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2011 at 10:09 PM

What a lovely page this is - it sure made me smile and remember the fun we had! Glad to see that our "welcome committee" (aka 5000 people partying!) was a good decision ;-)!!! It was fab to meet you and Howie and thanks for the kind words!!!

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Love your Ettlingen page and the photos Ann - especially the one of Russell trying the beer... Yes that was a great night out! Hope to meet you again, maybe with more time at hand for our region.

aussirose

“Latest Photo shoot - Macro. Pink Roses and Bee.”

Badges & Stats in Ettlingen

Have you been to Ettlingen?

Videos in Ettlingen