"Cairns - A Land of Contrast" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns by aussirose
Cairns Travel Guide: 867 reviews and 2,199 photos
Do you want to see the Great Barrier Reef? ....snorkle, scuba dive, check out the coral and colourful marine life?... etc.... then Cairns is your place.
Do you love rainforest? ..... Birdlife? .... Boat cruises and maybe the occasional croc sighting? .... Then look no further than Cairns.
How about mountains and fabulous countryside with beautiful lakes etc.... Then Cairns is your dream destination!
Yes! Cairns is definately a land of contrast!!
A trip to Australia is not a trip unless you visit the Great Barrier Reef.
Cairns or the Whitsundays.... whatever you choose, the outter reefs are not to be missed!! Make sure you book a day cruise trip. You won't be dissapointed!! The coral and colourful fish are amazing and even if you havn't snorkled before....you simply must do it!!
Of course as I have just said....there's more to Cairns than the Great Barrier Reef.
Most people that visit Cairns go for a trip to the Daintree which is fabulous. But I also suggest hiring a car or doing a day trip to Millaa Millaa Falls in the mountains south-west of Cairns. Check out my travelogue below.
Btw, I flew into Cairns from Hamilton Island after the big 2009 downunder vt meet at Airlie Beach. What a wonderful time we had!!
I left hubby and Zig (1+1) hiking on Hinchinbrook Island and I was on my own for a week....1st time for me in a backpackers yea.....had a ball!! and of course I had my vt mates Anne12 and tripicrd who live in Cairns to show me around :o)
All in all, my first visit here was wonderful!! and I hope you enjoy reading my stories just as much as I am enjoying reliving them ;o)
Btw if you want to tour with me on our car trip from Cairns to Darwin along the Savanna Way across the top end of Australia - then please click the link below -
Car Trip from Cairns to Darwin on the Savannah Way with aussirose.
First Stop Undara Lava Tubes.
- Pros:Gateway to Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest.
- Cons:Avoid in monsoon season - Dec to Feb.
- In a nutshell:Cairns has everything - diving, snorkling, sailing, boating, rainforest, mountains and friendly people.
We left Cairns and headed for Darwin across what is called the Savannah Way. If you are planning to do the same trip,... more travel advice
.....and more shopping!! Cairns Night Markets are open every night from 5pm onwards. We strolled through them looking... more travel advice
aussirose's Related Pages
Cairns Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairns QLD more than a tourist city."
- "CAIRNS (PAGES UNDER CONSTRUCTION)"
- "Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland"
- "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- "Cairns - more than the Great Barrier Reef"
- "Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns"
- "IMPREXXION: CAIRNS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairns
- Hotels in Cairns
- Transportation in Cairns
- Nightlife in Cairns
- Restaurants in Cairns
- Shopping in Cairns
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairns
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairns
- 27 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 43 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairns
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Travelling virtually."
- Commented on one of aussirose's Cairns travel pages
- updated a Cairns Travel Page "Cairns - A Land of Contrast"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tropic Days -Best Backpackers in Cairns!!"
- Uploaded a Video to Cairns
- Wrote a Review Savannah Way in Cairns Off The Beaten Path
Photos in CairnsSee All Photos (96)
Videos in CairnsSee All Videos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 41 reviews, 244 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 64 reviews, 140 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 20 reviews, 166 photos, 10 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 26 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Margaret River Intro, 30 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 22 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 157 photos, 18 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 18 reviews, 148 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 28 reviews, 132 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 127 photos, 11 travelogues