"Cairns - A Land of Contrast" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns by aussirose

Cairns Travel Guide: 867 reviews and 2,199 photos

Cairns - Why a land of contrast?

Do you want to see the Great Barrier Reef? ....snorkle, scuba dive, check out the coral and colourful marine life?... etc.... then Cairns is your place.

Do you love rainforest? ..... Birdlife? .... Boat cruises and maybe the occasional croc sighting? .... Then look no further than Cairns.

How about mountains and fabulous countryside with beautiful lakes etc.... Then Cairns is your dream destination!

Yes! Cairns is definately a land of contrast!!

A trip to Australia is not a trip unless you visit the Great Barrier Reef.

Cairns or the Whitsundays.... whatever you choose, the outter reefs are not to be missed!! Make sure you book a day cruise trip. You won't be dissapointed!! The coral and colourful fish are amazing and even if you havn't snorkled before....you simply must do it!!

Of course as I have just said....there's more to Cairns than the Great Barrier Reef.

Most people that visit Cairns go for a trip to the Daintree which is fabulous. But I also suggest hiring a car or doing a day trip to Millaa Millaa Falls in the mountains south-west of Cairns. Check out my travelogue below.

Btw, I flew into Cairns from Hamilton Island after the big 2009 downunder vt meet at Airlie Beach. What a wonderful time we had!!

I left hubby and Zig (1+1) hiking on Hinchinbrook Island and I was on my own for a week....1st time for me in a backpackers yea.....had a ball!! and of course I had my vt mates Anne12 and tripicrd who live in Cairns to show me around :o)

All in all, my first visit here was wonderful!! and I hope you enjoy reading my stories just as much as I am enjoying reliving them ;o)

Btw if you want to tour with me on our car trip from Cairns to Darwin along the Savanna Way across the top end of Australia - then please click the link below -

Car Trip from Cairns to Darwin on the Savannah Way with aussirose.
First Stop Undara Lava Tubes.

• Pros:Gateway to Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest.
  • Cons:Avoid in monsoon season - Dec to Feb.
  • In a nutshell:Cairns has everything - diving, snorkling, sailing, boating, rainforest, mountains and friendly people.
  • Last visit to Cairns: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2012

• TaraE7's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2013 at 5:38 AM

I would love to see cairns, i missed out when i was there, only got as far as Brisbane. my friend and i were on a guided tour, and it was amazing, we kept saying if only we had two more days we could have seen the Great Barrier Reef, but alas we had jobs....:(

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2011 at 3:30 AM

love your opening Cairns pic. I really must go back there again some day!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2011 at 10:20 AM

This looks like a real nice place to spend time and enjoy the cruising on the water. You did a good job of showing the sites and the comments helpful

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Having a look at what you did in Cairns...I have not been there for so long. Plan to go Alice..Darwin ..Cairns on way home. Marg

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 2:36 PM

i liked this page on Cairns, especially off the beaten path tips - driver revivor is a great idea. i don't know why i recall this city - do or did they have test cricket here?

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Mate that photo of me behind the leaf is so fantastic--Gee we had a great time around the Tablelands--loved it all. Dorrise And the Botanical gardens are so nice.I was so happy we had a day together to explore what we did.xx

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Oh Ann, thanks so much!! You are such a sweet host to Nobby :-)) And I love the stamp already :-)) I hope he behaves :-))) Thank you sooo much :-)

aussirose

“Latest Photo shoot - Macro. Pink Roses and Bee.”

Badges & Stats in Cairns