"Hells Gate" Daly Waters by aussirose

Daly Waters Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 110 photos

This is really my Hells Gate page. VT does not have Hells Gate as a selection.... not even Borroloola....so I had to take the nearest choice - Daly Waters, which is the turn off to the NT/QLD border and Hells Gate.

We had left Normanton early morning, had lunch at Burketown... and were headed across the top end on our journey from Cairns to Darwin after the big 2009 downunder meet at Airlie Beach.

Well we had been travelling all day.....this was the longest section of our journey. We arrived at Hells Gate in the middle of nowhere.... just before sunset .... dust churning as we hit the brake. Since it was dusk and we didn't want to create road kill, we decided to stop for the night.

Well there's not much at Hells gate. Just a small roadhouse with container type accommodation .... (reminded me of the dog boxes we stayed in at Bordertown on the Nullabour).

Even the old dunny was out of order haha ;o)

To follow my journey from Cairns to Darwin please click the link below. You can also access the link from my travelogue.

Mataranka

• Pros:Interesting rock formations at Hells Gate.
  • Cons:Do not stay at Hells Gate for the night. Drive through.
  • In a nutshell:Hells Gate - Border of QLD and NT - Hell on earth!
  • Last visit to Daly Waters: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2012

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Hi Ann
    Funnily enough, Hell's Gate National Park in Kenya doesn't get a guernsey on the VT database either ... I had to stick that under Lake Naivasha! Not sure how they select their locations, but it does seem a little remiss to overlook an entire National Park!
    Regards

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM

That's just wrong!!...lol :}

aussirose

“Latest Photo shoot - Macro. Pink Roses and Bee.”

Badges & Stats in Daly Waters

Have you been to Daly Waters?

Latest Activity in Daly Waters