"Hyden WA - Home of the Stunning Wave Rock" Top 5 Page for this destination Hyden by aussirose
Hyden Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 212 photos
We arrived here as part of the Big Downunder VT tagalong car trip 2013 and stayed for the night in a cabin at the Wave Rock Resort right on the lake front. Cabins here are relatively cheap if you have a few people in your party. Don't expect a flash resort because it is located in the middle of the bush.... but that is all part of the adventure.
Wave Rock itself is about 15 metres high and is quite stunning. You don't have to walk far to see it which is good. There are other attractions here such as hippos yawn which as the name suggests - looks like a big hippo yawning - Mulka's Cave and the Humps. There are also plenty of bush walks for the adventurous.
In wildflower season (August to November) this place comes alive with colour.
As part of our trip, hubby gave us all wildflower books which were colour coded and made a list of wildflowers for us to find. The completion was heating up!
I found a bunch of orchids (cowslip orchids). They were first orchids that I had seen this trip.
I was primed to do some night photography, in particular taking shots of the stars and milky way and some light painting.
Unfortunately the weather put a damper on the stars and milky way shots but I did find an old army tank just outside our cabin and set up for a bit of fun with light painting.
Check out my travelogue below.
If you are following along our road trip, click the link below -
Borden and Amelup - Magpies, a Dutch Windmill and Nudists Crossing
- Pros:Wave Rock, Hippos Yawn and Wildflowers
- Cons:A long way from Perth
- In a nutshell:Definitely a must for camping and the adventurous
If you want to head straight on down to Albany, the quickest route is via Lake Grace. There is not much to do at Lake... more travel advice
I recommend this restaurant. Actually Wave Rock Motel located in Hyden has a few different eating venues but we chose... more travel advice
aussirose's Related Pages
Hyden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Journey from Perth to Hyden - Waverock"
- "Hyden WA - Home of the Stunning Wave Rock"
- "Hyden, Western Australia"
- "Gateway to Wave Rock"
- "Hyden and Wave Rock"
- "HYDEN AND WAVE ROCK SOUTH WESTERN WEST AUSTRALIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hyden
- Hotels in Hyden
- Restaurants in Hyden
- Shopping in Hyden
- Warnings and Dangers in Hyden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hyden
- 8 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Hyden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hyden
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: 2014 Holiday Highlights."
- Commented on one of al2401's Hyden travel pages
- Wrote a Review Lake Grace - More Direct Route to Albany in Hyden Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lake Grace - More Direct Route to Albany"
- updated a Hyden Travelogue "Light Painting Wave Rock WA by aussirose"
Photos in HydenSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 48 reviews, 281 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 34 reviews, 179 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 64 reviews, 140 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 20 reviews, 166 photos, 10 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 26 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Margaret River Intro, 30 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 22 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 157 photos, 18 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 18 reviews, 148 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 28 reviews, 132 photos, 9 travelogues