"Mt Surprise - Gateway to Undara Lava Tubes" Mount Surprise by aussirose

Mount Surprise Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 31 photos

Our 2009 holiday started off at the big downunder vt meet at Airlie Beach. From there, we spent a few days on Hamilton Island and then I flew to Cairns and left hubby and Zig (1+1) to do a 4 day hike on Hinchinbrook Island. Hubby & Zig met me in Cairns and we left Cairns and headed across the top of Australia in Zig's 4x4 on the Savannah Way to Darwin. This is the start of our 6 day adventure across the top end.

If you are following along with me on our car trip, then there is a link to the next destination below.

We spent the first night here at the Lava Tubes, Undara.

The Lava Tubes are amazing! Huge caves and dry river beds in which lava once flowed. The colourful designs on the roof made as the lava had cooled and crusted are certainly an interesting sight.

When checking out our road trip itinery I came across the Undara web site - Url in my accommodation tip.

Railway carriage accommodation?!! How exciting!! :o) And so we spent the night in an old train...

Next morning we continued on our journey across the top end, heading for Normington & the famous Purple Pub.

To follow along with us on our journey, please click the link below.

Car Trip from Cairns to Darwin with aussirose - Next Stop -
Normington - Home of the famous Purple Pub

• Pros:Great outback Aussie experience. Uniquie railway carriage accommodation. Interesting Lava Tube Caves.
  • Cons:Bit far for a day trip from Cairns. Need to stay overnight.
  • In a nutshell:Undara - A unique outback Australian experience and well worth visiting.
  • Last visit to Mount Surprise: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2012

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Lovely start to you trip to Darwin ..

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I had to see what this place was about, just by the name. We have lava tubes here as well, but they are long underground affairs that aren't easy to see in. That railway carriage cabin is an interesting thing as well. Were there any actual old railway lines into the area? I had thought that until recent days the line up north went from Darwin to Birdum, and that was it.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
      Sep 30, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Thanks for your comment Glen. Much appreciated mate :o) Yes there is a rail between Undara and Cairns! Check it out here - undara.com.au/packages/rail-...
      And guess what?! The big downunder meet is in Cairns next year in September. We are also doing the fabulous Kurunda rail through the rainforest. You would love that! Coming??! Hugs, Ann xx

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM

What a lovely page, Ann! Can't believe I am the first visitor! I wanted to visit the lava tubes when I stayed in Cairns in 2009, but unfortunately it didn't work out - I hope I can go there one day :-)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
      Dec 21, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Oh wow! Thank you so much or your kind words Mirjam. Your comment brought a smile to my face :o) Yes this place is definitely worth a visit and stay!! xx

aussirose

“Live Life to the Fullest - Cheers to the Next Holiday!!”

Badges & Stats in Mount Surprise

Have you been to Mount Surprise?

Latest Activity in Mount Surprise